Tampon lost for months??!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Tampon lost for months??!!

I went to my ob/gyn today and he found a tampon that I did not know I had "lost".  Now many things are coming back to me today that should have been indicators but I thought they were related to other things.  Odor, I remember that at the end of summer a vaginal odor seemed to begin and never leave.  Strange discharge after sex, it had a reddish brown color like the end of menstration even though my period was long over.  Inability to attain vaginal orgasm, would get close but never quite "crossed the finish line".  I have been menstrating regularly and did not notice any abnormal symptoms.  My doctor did not ask how long the tampon was in there and I was too embarassed to admit that it may have been there for months.  Since I have not had any symptoms of infection or anything, am I alright now that its out?  Could the tampon have been the cause of the 3 things I listed above?
That is very much probably the reason for the symptoms listed. Its amazing that nothing worse happened. My mother works for an OBGYN and I have heard horror stories of that very thing happening...and was terrified of "losing" one cause of it. If your gyno didnt express any other problems associated with it, im sure you are fine.
Those things are scary huh!
I wouldnt think it would have been lost for months specially if you didnt have TSS or anyother things.  But who knows strange things do happen.
haha i needed a funny story. stressed out.
I had that happen, where it was a couple of days where it was in there, and when I got to the doctor I was so embarrassed and the nurse told me a funny story about a girl and her boyfriend who were playing around and the girl put a tampon up his butt. Well, I guess they forgot about it and about a month later the guy went to the doctor complaining that he was constipated and he was really bloated.  Well, they did the x-ray and saw the tampon, clear as day in his abdomen, and found out that the tampon had gone up inside of him and was absorbing all of his poop.  So they had to go in rectally and remove it.  He was okay though.  I thought I'd share that, cuz it made me feel better at the time.
I too am shocked nothing else happened. This same thing happened to my friend, not for month's, but a few weeks. She is fine too. I would say that all the problems you listed were caused from the tampon. Glad you got it out. Maybe now you can finally have an orgasm again. Have fun!
I'm actually surprised your partner didn't feel it during sex! It must have been well hidden! It's amazing that you didn't develop an infection whilst it was in, but that's not to say that one hasn't already started to develop even now that it's out. Did you OB take any cultures for testing?
the tampoon in the butt story is priceless.  

i remember a girl in high school forgetting to remove her last tampon of her period.  she finally remembered when she started smelling something "funny" and realized it was she.  i've got to admit, it made me a little paranoid for awhile about wearing tampons :)
That was hilarious!!! Was it that boring of a time that she fell asleep waiting to climax? I'm in hysterics at the moment...sorry!
So, I just had sex with my boyfriend. Mid coitus he complained that he felt something poking his (very large, amazing) penis. I didnt think anything of it, but noticed an unusual, ungodly, ok horrifying odor. Much like a rat, or perhaps an entire herd of wild boar, crawled up there and died.
He was such a good sport. He marched with dignity through the suffering, and even managed to make me orgasm 3 times, all the while holding his breath......apparently.
Anyway, I admitted that I smelled something foul, and was very worried. Well he broke down and got honest. He said it smelled "really wrong", and that he struggled to maintain his wonderful erection.
I was sitting on the toilet afterwards, wanting to kill myself, and decided to inspect. I stuck my finger up the festering stink hole and found a Jurassic tampon.

Well, I have to admit, I was relieved. I thought maybe it was a miscarriage that was just chilling near my cervix.........being born, and dying at the same time. Hence making my vagina a putrid rotting death tomb.

Will the smell go away? Thanks.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Such wonderful wording!
This just happen to me. It was very scary! I looked up all my symptoms on the Internet and it kept telling me either cancer or STDs. The tampon just came out! I'm so glad it's over!
I'm so glad I came across this. I have had the same symptoms. I reached in and felt around, grabbed something wierd feeling, and it was a tampon. Has been in there 2 months!!! I thought i might have had cervical cancer. THank you for posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe I didnt realize this sooner.