Vaginal Fissures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-235 comments:
look up lichen sclerosis, reading that your skin is dis-colored down there made me think of it. Good luck. I have just started researching this problem I have hadd off and on for about a year now. I dont have the light patches as in the lichen sclerosis but suffer from the fissures in my outer labia creases. I am going to the DR next week to discuss it, I have been ignoring it for the fear of having herpes..,,though I have never had a blister type OB Good Luck
COuld have cried when I read what you have said. I have had these papercuts for 7 years, biopsy taken bla de bla, with no answer and a swift discharge from the gynae consultant. Like you they come back roughly every 2 weeks or so. I am at my wits end, as I am pregnant and the tears are the biggest ever and so painful. Why does no one know what this is!!! Help
PLEASE GO TO THE DOCTOR if it is at all persistent or re-occuring....

Demand your Dr. to try what my Dr. finally tried. (and later apologized for no being more aggressive the first times...)

My problem is still solved I drink coffee and workout...no weird diet and no lichen...

My Dr. prescribed a "Z-pack" Which is Zithromax 250MG/Generic=Azithromycin=4 pills. He prescribed Flagyl 500MG=Metronidazole=14 pills. He prescribed Clobetasol .05% cream=a topical steroid, which I was going to use if I needed it after the antibiotics, but I didn't (maybe I used it for 2-3 days) - I was worried about the steroid, b/c of the fact that it thins the skin and it seemed counter - production intuitively to me). Anyhow the Antibiotics worked great! My body was able to heal itself after the Antibiotic Napalm Bomb. Now I can eat healthier and what ever else I want to try with the problem solved!

I am still totally fine and most people who really have a solution don't return to a site like this to leave specific drugs and detail to the persistent problem they are finally rid of... I worry about people fearing something terrible and not going to dr. or trying everything under-the sun over the counter and irritating the problem...PLEASE GO TO THE DOCTOR if it is at all persistent or re-occuring.... it is worth the peace of mind!

AND IF I had read that message (to go to dr.) earlier, instead of all of the posts that listed some or no success I could've possibly been free of this years ago. AND if it comes back I will go immediately back and demand the exact prescription I listed on my previous posting....

January 19, 2011

I wish you all luck in getting your issue taken care of.

Thank to everyone for all of your posts!
I found this site when I researching vaginal fissures.  I was suffering from the fissures for about three weeks and finally went to see my LPN.  She diagnosed a bacterial vaginal infection......and prescribed a 7-day antibiotic intra-vaginal treatment.  My LPN also prescribed a topical steroid cream.  But the important thing is she solved the problem.  IT IS A YEAST IMBALANCE IN YOUR BODY.  For the past week I have had no sugar or alcohol and I have eaten mostly vegetables.  I feel so much better.....and the best thing is the fissures have healed.    I went to see my LPN today for a followup appointment and she was amazed at how quickly the fissures had healed.  I also used Tender Tush which is a topical ointment from Young Living.  I know that I have to change my eating habits.  I was under quite a bit of stress dealing with a family matter in February and I think that contributed to the yeast imbalance.  Stress is wicked.  There is a great website w/ good info:  www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com  - check it out.  He tells you about a test you can do w/ your saliva to see if you have a yeast imbalance in your body.  Check out the "Testing" tab when you get to the website.......the fourth tab down on the left.  I thought my husband and I ate fairly healthy.....but the glass of wine w/ dinner and the stress combined to feed the yeast.  I just picked up Aqua Flora - High Potency 9 today at our local health store today.  This product will kill most strains of yeast.  Do your research and good luck to all of you.  We have to be proactive about our health.  Good health is such a wonderful thing.  
I am so glad to find all of you!!!  You have no idea....well, I bet you do!  I thought I was alone in this, you know, the weird one, but now I am beginning to see that it's a real problem that doctors aren't really treating seriously (except the few of you that persisted and got REAL treatment, not just false positive herpes diagnoses).  I am going to try the Sitz bath, as I do notice additional discharge when I get these "paper cuts," and I suspect that they ARE hormonally related, I've been feeling PMSy mid-cycle, which is a whole other discussion board!  But I know that at different times of the month, your womanly pH changes, hence the suspect symptoms.

My cuts are usually associated with high stress, my period or high sugar consumption (all things that can throw your hormones and pH off whack)....I am going to track these things more closely and see what pattern emerges....Good luck to all of you and to new readers, don't take Herpes for an answer!!!
ok ladies LISTEN UP!
I too had fissures for the first time EVER and they did not go away. i was VERY nervous and concerned about them.

they finally closed on their own but the skin was still itchy. the ob/gyn quickly and easily diagnosed it as yeast and prescribed a cream.
i am using 2x a day for 2weeks and everything is perfect down there again!

she recommended was to keep it dry down there with powder, cotton underwear and #1. TO WIPE FROM FRONT TO BACK ALWAYS since this yeast that grows on the outside of the vagina can come from feces. i know gross but makes sense. good luck.
I'm 28.  I don't take any sort of birth control.  I am a vegetarian.  

I just recently started having sex on a consistent basis and I woke up on Saturday morning with what I thought was a tear.  I had sex the night before.  Nothing rough, but I had been drinking and I thought maybe I was too dry and hadn't noticed.  I couldn't remember doing anything that would have torn me and I don't remember feeling any pain.

I spoke with nurse tonight and she said that it was a fissure.  I had no idea this happened.  I don't use latex condoms.  I use polyisoprene.  I'm not allergic to latex but that's what we had.  I've also used lambskin.  

Could it be happening from the type of condom?  The recent inlux in sex?  New bacteria being introduced?

I know I probably have to lay off the sex but I'd like this to heal as quickly as possible.  

So, yeah, we're not alone and this *****.  
I have been suffering from these uncomfortable symptoms for the past eight years. A few years back a gynecologist took a swab of one of the fissures which came back negative so no further investigations were offered. I have seen seen various  doctors and a naturopath none of whom have provided me with any solutions. I have also had my own theories and tried various home remedies and changes in diet. Nothing has ever completely relieved me of the problem. The condition  has worsened with fissures appearing from my anal area, perineum and vulva. The itching drives me insane and the pain has become intolerable. Making love these days is almost non existent! I'll occasionally tolerate the discomfort just to satisfy my husband but this usually makes things worse again.
However there is hope for us all. At my recent routine PAP smear, whilst the lesions were particularly severe, my GP decided to refer me to a Dermatologist who I went to see yesterday. On examination she offered two possible causes: Lichen Simplex and Psoriasis. She took a biopsy and rang me today with the results. It revealed Psoriasis. She is going to prescribe a steroid cream and treatment regime which hopefully will alleviate the symptoms. It's such a relief to finally get a diagnosis and to find a medical professional willing to listen, take me seriously and offer a solution.
For all you fellow sufferers my advice to you is to ask your GP for a referral to a dermatologist, they are specialised in all sorts of skin conditions. I asked to see a female as they seem to be more understanding of what we are going through. The biopsy was only slightly stingy and required one stitch which will fall out by itself. There is very little discomfort today.  
My symptoms are similar to all of the posts that I have read here such as severe itching, slight flaking of skin, redness & fissures covering all the genital area. I also have psoriasis in my scalp. It is important for each of you to have a proper diagnosis from a trained professional as there are many other conditions whose symptoms are very similar such as Lichen Sclerosis. This needs a proper diagnosis, treatment and regular surveillance as it can become quite serious.
I will keep you posted with my progress.
So over the last couple weeks iv been takin antibiotics for strept which soon turned to mono. Then a few days ago i had a weird itch, didnt think much of it. It totally felt okay one day & my bf preformed oral on me, as well as fingering. The next days to come got worse and worse. I peed yesterday and it burned ! I looked in the mirror & noticed a small cut on my clit i think from shaving recently. I finally guts up & told my mom who took me to the gyno. He looked around and said i had lesions which caused burning + major scratches. He thought herpes at first look but i convinced him it wasnt. He looked deeper & said i had a bad yeast infection for sure probably from antibiotics. I just took my first duflucin pill but i cant stop the burning when i pee or scratching or my clit being sore. He told me to put hydrocortison cream on it to relieve symptoms right away but i burned even more ! Idk what to do im irritated, its like my body is getting worse and worse between this and mono ! What can i do to relieve the burning, thats the worst part, and the scratching might make it worse. Oh and my period is due soon. HELP PLEASE!!!
As all of you have expressed, this is such an exciting thread to have stumbled upon. I am astounded by the amount of women who are suffering from the same things I am, and it is so heartening to realize that I am not a diseased freak. I am twenty years old, light olive-skinned and have brown eyes, though I am unsure as to the relevance of any of that. I've been suffering with these lesions for nearly two years now, and like all of you, ever doctor I have gone to is stumped. Originally, I was told it was some sort of wart-like STD, which I was treated for. I noticed no changes in my symptoms after treatment. Shortly after I was sent to a Gyno instead of my family practitioner, who decided it was Trich. I was treated for that, and again noticed no improvement. I was given numerous different creams and ointments and things to try, all to no avail. I again switched doctors, and continue to try alternating treatments that provide no relief. I have had a handful of sexual partners, all of which have been clean, and before this condition initially came about, I was in a monogamous two year relationship.

I have one or two of these little "cuts," as it were, and I notice that they occur in the same spots for the most part, are worse after sex, like most of you, and I find that they become irritated by the use of toilet paper or any sort of wiping: drying off after a shower or bath, wiping myself down after sex, wiping after peeing, etc. I've grown incredibly frustrated with the doctors I have seen, as I have also been tested numerous times for various STD's, which have all come back negative. I was on Yasmin for about two years, and last May, switched to the Mirena IUD. I haven't noticed too much of a difference in the frequency or severity of the lesions since the change in birth control, but I do think this perhaps might be part of the cause. Also, when I was younger I had a severe allergy to anything perfumed: I couldn't use scented bubble bath, lotions or anything of the sort. The allergic reaction only occurred around the genital area, and as I aged the allergy seemed to dissipate. I am quite convinced, from the majority of the symptoms and the similarities we all seem to have in common, that this must be some sort of skin issue. I don't have any other irritating skin problems anywhere else on my body, and I am sure that this must be a sort of vaginal sensitivity caused by excess wetness and various irritants. I imagine, since quite a few of you have suffered with this problem for years and years on end, that this may be a lifelong condition and one must simply learn what relieves the symptoms the best for themselves via trial and error. I find that taking plenty of time to do a through, gentle shave, (leaving hair long seems to allow discharge to collect around the root and irritate the skin further despite frequent washing) applying a plain white unscented lotion to the shaved area that will help minimize irritation after shaving, keeping the area clean (don't over do it with the washing, though, this can make the irritation worse) and dry, wearing breathable underwear during the day and none at night whenever possible, avoiding harsh wiping (pat dry only, ladies) and being generally gentle and good to oneself makes this condition a little more bearable and easy to live with. I read a post where someone mentioned laying down and letting it air out, I find that this is also helpful. I've been taking a monstrous handful of immune system boosting vitamins, and drinking plenty of water every single day as well, and this has contributed to a little bit of ease in the irritation I experience. I do hope this helps some of you out, I know how painful, uncomfortable and upsetting this has been for myself so I can only imagine what some of you are going through. Love and luck to you all, my dears.
one thing ive done to ease the stinging and itching is soaking in apple cider vinegar. the kind from the health food store that has cultures or whatever in it. it'll sting for the first few seconds but it helps to calm down and heal the area. not a solution, but better than being in total agony.  sometimes i put some hydrogen peroxide in there too. even goldenseal. gentian violet is really messy but soothing. also they sell tea tree oil suppositories which are really soothing and can sometimes stop yeast dead in its tracks. i use cortizone cream at night and when it gets real itchy. it helps.  ive had this happen occasionally for 10 years, since i became sexual active. i havent been on birth control in about 7 years so i can rule that out. im std neg. i have been yeast infection and bv prone since i became sexually active. the fissures seem to come with the infections for me, oftenly before my period. i think its at least partially due to hormonal shifts making me more vulnerable to the outbreaks. occasionally i can put my finger on the cause of a bv or yeast infection but usually it seems to come out of nowhere. sometimes i go a year or more trouble free, but ive had years where it happened almost every other month. not fun. try apple cider vinegar for some relief.  
I have a painful lump that bleeds after sex. My Fiancé's a bit large but I didn't think we needed lube. My O/B tested me for every STD and he told me that I needed to use lube. He suggested that I use a silicone base lube, it isn't absorbed as quickly. After my hysterectomy, I noticed the fissure had started bleeding more often. My O/B wanted to surgically remove the fissure, but I found that pure almond oil helps with healing and is an odorless, greaseless lube. It's used for massages too ;)
so is it normal for fissures to give u the idea of it being herpes cause its the first time i get this & im totally freaking out. idk what to do!
Hello Ladies, I have had a complete Hysterectomy 3 years ago, found that I am a diabetic, I'm ALWAYS warm/Hot, and sit 6 hours a day a work and stressed to the Max.  I believe it is a combination of things, Hormones, stress, and heat.  Please also note that I remember my fist cut after doing laundry, I used Tide, and added Oxi Clean to the wash for my undergarments, I noticed immediatly the pain from the cut, and stopped, a year later tried again, and the same results occured.  Just something to think about. I still occassionaly have a cut about twice a year.  I keep the area clean with mild soap and water.
ok ladies..i feel you r pain..i have had these "paper cuts" since april and went to the gyno several times and had all tests done....all negative! She just told me they were fissures..well i cant except that because they are painful and i cant imagine that it is what it is...so i started thinking what i have been doing different since april and after several experiments..such as changing my diet, using vasoline on the cuts, not drinking...etc.... i have found the answer (at least for those of you who can relate)...i moved in with my fiance in april and since then i have used cottenelle wet wipes almost every time i go to the bathroom, even if im only peeing...i just thought it was a nice way to keep constantly clean in case we are in the mood....so i have stopped using them unless i have a bowel movement and have kept them away from my vagina and i have been cut free and pain free for a month!!! so clearly it is over-washing or cleaning or something relating to that..within 2 days they were closed up! so please think about what is different in your life since you stated getting these and that should help! i can relate and feel all of your pain! just spreading the news!
I am a 29 year old, and have all the same symptoms. I am not on the birth control pill, and haven't been for 5 years. I have been tested for herpes, yeast, bacteria, and diabetes. All are negative. I get these cuts frequently, and have no cure yet. I have used Iodine solution, that seems to help a bit and fresh aloe. I have also tried DMSO, but once it dries it needs to be followed with aloe or a cream to soothe. I do believe stress has a lot to do with it. Especially since I notice that when I am relaxed and happy I tend to be healthier. Trying to figure out how to manage stress better. Meditation is helpful.

My GYN referred me to a Dermatologist. We'll see what she has to say? Best to all of you, I feel your pain.  
This is amazing. I was at my wit's end when I finally turned to the internet for answers and found this site. It might sound crazy but it's refreshing to see that I'm not alone. Especially seeing how so many women, like myself, have gone to their gynecologist only to be told that they have herpes. I've been getting these tears for almost a year. They started to show up after my husband and I had sex and he thought he was too rough on me. I went to the doctor and she told me it looks like a blister and insisted it must be herpes or something. I told her that I've only been with my husband and there was no way. She kept telling me it's possible and that I don't know what he's done over the years. I guess I looked promiscuous to her because she actually prescribed me Valtrex. I was terrified. She sent me to get blood work done for herpes, sent cultures to the lab and, low and behold, the results were negative of any STDs. It was an agonizing week waiting for results. I am experiencing a fissure as we speak and have made an appointment with a different doctor. Maybe I'll get some kind of ointment this time or at least some info on how to prevent them. By the way, I am on the pill and I've read a little about how that may be a factor. Hopefully, the doc can give me some answers.
I had the problem with fissures around my labia that would show up and disappear for seemingly no reason.  I never had them before I gave birth (C-section) at age 40.  No one could help me.  I started using good old-fashioned witch hazel on the OUTSIDE of my vagina.  When the cuts were there it really stung, but after a few days it all went away.  I do it preventively a few times a week now and have NEVER had the problem since!! I'd recommend trying, it probably couldn't hurt.
I posted this on another thread on here but this seems more recently used:

I'm a 23 year old who has been experiencing similar issues to all of you for the past year. 3 doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. From right below my clit down to around the opening of my vagina I had soreness and some red skin. I would randomly get cuts in random places that would heal but another would inevitably pop up. Keep in mind, I was using all sensitive skin products because I've had eczema for years so I knew it wasn't irritation caused by that (but even the sensitive skin cream would sting if any got in the area).
My condition was originally ruled a yeast infection. I went on diflucam (sp?) and it got slightly better but the soreness was still there. From then on out I've been eating yogurt or taking acidophilus every day. Over the next few months I got tested twice for herpes and once for chlamydia and gonorrhea--all came back negative.
FINALLY I got a doctor with a brain (sorry, my frustration is coming out). I had gone back to the gyno because my last one told me after the most recent cut healed to come back and she'd put me on a steroid cream. She was at a different office when I wanted to make the appointment and so I got the 4th doctor.
POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
4th Doctor listened to my story, took a look, and said she thought she knew what I had: LICHEN SCLEROSUS. It's most common in post-menopausal women but can occur in younger women, men, and children. It's a lifetime type thing (I joked--like ezcema (eczema)) with symptoms that can be treated with a steroid cream. She decided to take a biopsy to confirm and sent it off to a pathologist.
For some of you, lichen sclerosus might be the answer.
Unfortunately, for me, the biopsy came back like an abnormal pap and I might have VIN-- Vulvar Intraepithelial Neoplasia. I would still be in stage 1 which is least harmful. This site can explain better than I: http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/med/obgyn/patedu/vulvarvaginaldisease/vin.html
Basically it's a possibly pre-cancerous disease with a couple of causes, most commonly HPV. It is important to note that I had the Gardasil vaccine years ago  but that doesn't protect you from every strain.
I'm still not 100% sure what I have exactly. I have more tests to run.

I urge all of you who haven't found a solution and have persisting symptoms to ask your gyno to take a biopsy and look for either lichen sclerosus or HPV/VIN. I hope this info brings at least a few of you relief.
Wanted to say how much i appreciated your posts.  I have been dealing with the itching, burning and tears for over a month now.  My doctor treated me for a yeast infection, then insisted that i have herpes.  Even though the culture came back negative, she is about refusing any other testing.  Did i mention how tired and frustrated i am?  And I just married my long time man and now this.

I am going to take your post with me to the doctor in the morning.  Let's hope they listen!  
I started getting PAINFUL fissures in my vagina about 15 years ago – the pain was unbelievable, even the recommended sitting in a tub of lukewarm water hurt like crazy – I hurt doing nothing.    The doctor suggested at first that I had a yeast infection when it provenly wasn’t.  To make a long story short – I was referred to a skin specialist who at the end of my checkup, said that he had something that “a lot of ladies have done well with”.    I now rub a cream on the entering portion to my vagina every morning.  After using this cream for 3 days I was feeling much better.   I now have to use it daily or I am in trouble – and about every 8 months, I need to apply it twice a day for a month and then I go back to once a day.  

I fully realize this is not for everyone here – just thought I’d share in case someone might read and take the compound Rx to their doctor, as it may be the ticket.

1% Testosterone / 1% H.C. HYDROPHIL PET WMT
Sorry - I should have added that I receive the cream from the pharmacy in tiny containers of 25 grams and no more ......  as I need only enough to lightly cover the skin area once a day, and also – as the ingredients start to dissipate after approx 3 weeks.
Hello All,

I was stricken with the same thing a few weeks ago after being put on 3 different antibiotics for STDs I didn't have (apparently a preventative measure taken while awaiting test results), which through my body totally out of whack creating an over abundance of yeast, which in turn created the vaginal fissures. My fissures are again, vaginal (internal, not external). I also have Lichen Schlerosis, an autoimmune dsease which affects the skin outside of my vagina, which can cause a build-up of scar tissue closing off the opening and can create exterior fissures.

MY EFFECTIVE CURE, after much research, has been pH infused water (can be found at Whole Foods and I'm sure many other stores), probiotics (I'm taking one that has 30 billion living cells per pill, three times daily), fruit and vegetables. I've cut refined white flour and refined sugar out completely.

In less than a week it no longer feels like someone shoved a razor blade covered stick inside me. The discharge has also lessened.

I hope this helps some of you/ That is a brutal pain. I couldn't cross my legs or sit on hard surfaces.
Hi all,
I have been dealing with this for about 5 months now. First off, I am almost 32 and have never had this problem before.   I do work a lot and drink coffee daily.  But until a few months back, I never had any issues with dryness- in fact I was overly wet.  I was always "in the mood".  Now, unfortunately, I am the opposite. I'm just so glad I have a boyfriend who is understanding!    

It all started back in April this year. I just started dating this wonderful guy and suddenly had a yeast infection. I did Monistat but then it came back.  I tried apple cider vinegar, douching with yogurt, eating raw garlic, colloidal silver, a lot of natural remedies.   I went to the gyno and they said I had a yeast infection as well as Trich. Was treated with Flagyl and Diflucan. But then, the pap results came back and they said I also had HPV and an abnormal pap.  They also said I had a staff infection!!  Well. I knew if I took more antibiotics the yeast would come back so I started taking grapefruit seed extract, in water, like 3 times a day.  This seemed to clear up the staff infection because next time I was tested they didn't find it. They also did not find anything else but I began having thick, white discharge daily, and it would get aggravated if I had sex.  But at this point I still had interest in sex.   I kept going to doctors and they said it wasn't yeast.  Determined to handle this the natural way, I did a strict diet and a lot of probiotics. I thought this had all been caused by heavy antibiotic use early on in my life (I also used to have kidney/bladder infections a lot years ago).  

Well... I ended up using Diflucan a few more times, because I would get what seemed like a yeast infection with an added horrible stinging, stabbing pain which would wake me up at night and cause me to be so stressed I would cry.  Went to another doc and she said I have these little fissues... like "paper cuts".... She thought it was herpes and was about to give me a drug for that but I demanded an actual TEST before I was going to take it, and as it turned out, I do not have herpes.   But then she did some research and finally figured out this thing called vulvodynia.   Reseraching this I found it it is related to allergies... The turning point came when I stopped using perfumed products like shampoos, soaps, etc.  I had been using Garnier Fructis and I stopped this, and within like 2 days I was out of pain!!!    Now I use all -natural shampoos and conditioners and the stabbing, burning pain is not there.   But I still have the fissures.  And I still have symptoms of a yeast infection, and also the last time I tried to have sex it really hurt. Since then I have not even been interested in sex.    

When I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with vulvodynia, they were going to prescribe more drugs, heavy antifungals, but I knew that it may have been all these drugs that threw me out of balance in the first place.   I have another symptom and that is, when I was still having sex, I would get pain before we even started. It seemed like becoming aroused caused pain?!? Does anyone else have this??    Anyway I'm not really ever in the mood any more and if I am, it seems to be during my period which is weird.  I'm not wet down there anymore. I seem to be very dry.   So my search continues for a real answer as to what's wrong with me and how to fix it.

But, I did want to leave a few helpful hints for you ladies who are suffereing with the same thing.   For the itching and pain, raw coconut oil is very soothing.  Garden of Life brand is the best, it's pricey but you can also use it in cooking and it does kill candida!!   I could not even use KY or aloe or anything else, both of those burned my very delicate skin.  But for some reason, raw coconut oil seems to help calm it down and make the itching go away when it comes on.

Also, baths with epsom salts and baking soda help.  Also, staying away from all dairy and sugar helps.    

Still have no sex apetite and can't have sex-- but at least I'm not in tears everyday and don't have pain during the day anymore.  

When I find a cure, I will post it here, I promise!

Hello Ladies,
I've been dealing with vaginal fissures since 2006.
I have been to over 13 doctors... I stopped counting.
I tear usually in the same spot, over and over in the "fourchette" area about the location of the hymen.
Treatments have been too numerous to list: almost everything listed on this thread to date.
Currently I am seeing a vaginal pain specialist and am having botox injected into my pelvic floor. My Dr. believes muscle tension has weakened the skin (I also have fibromyalgia).
Next week I am going for another round of botox shots. This is my third attempt. Nothing happened the first time, the second time I had pain free sex for the first time in years... but the problem came back after months. The third round of shots, nothing happened I am going to try them one more time and if they do not work I will be persuing surgery (though finding a Dr. to provide it will be difficult) Google: "modified posterior vestibulectomy with vaginal advancement"
Everyone of your cases is unique. For mine I believe stress, sugar and hormones are playing a role. Yeast is involved somehow.
I hope this information helps you somehow, please know, I know EXACTLY how you are feeling... the anxiety, stress, fear and anger. I wish you all a speedy recovery...
I am only 16 and i have the same problems, just not as severe, will going to my gp do any good? please help
Wow, I was relieved at first when I found this forum.  I began having these painful, itchy cuts 3 days ago.  I immediately became concerned about herpes.   I saw my gyn today and he appeared reluctant to say he suspected herpes. He prescribed zovirax 5%, flagyl and diflucan.  He took cultures and drew blood.   He took my husband's blood too.  I have been married for 16 years.   My husband has gone out of the relationship but it was over 6 years ago.  I recently completed a regimen of antibiotics and recently finished my period.   I am scared.   I have to wait a week before getting the results.
Yes, I use wipes. I use either Scotts or Cottonelle. Maybe they are the cause! Lisa P.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/15002033/ns/today-today_health/t/what-will-help-my-recurring-yeast-infections/

Vaginal fissures from yeast infections are very common. Though almost all women get at least one yeast infection in their lifetime, some women get recurring yeast infections. An important thing to know when going to your doctor is that the treatment for recurring yeast infections is not the same as treatment for a single occurrence.  In addition, there is another, less common yeast species that requires treatment different from the standard to completely clear.  Bring this information to your care provider.  Get that yeast gone - forever! And stop them from causing you unwarranted pain.
I'm a 17 year old girl as well, and I'm having the same exact issue as you are. The only problem is the boy I last had intercourse with is someone I have unfortunately been on and off with.  I don't doubt the seeing of other women, infact I know, but I also know that if there was to be something personally wrong with him, he wouldn't do anything with me.  Anyways, it's been about a week? or couple days since I last had intercourse, but the past 2 days or so the bottom of my vagina, burns when im sitting, taking a pee and it also makes me feel like i have to pee constantly but that could be because of the burning. - SO, if you found any solutions PLEASE let me know.
If you have discoloration and extreme itching that gets worse at night it could be lichen sclerosis - I dealt with the pain and itching for over a year and went to numerous gynocologists who had no idea what was going on. I did my own research online and diagnosed myself with lichen sclerosis - then I saw a dermatologist who confirmed that was the issue. She gave me a topical steroid cream which I used for two weeks and the problem was gone - no more itching. The scarring is permanent and you have to keep an eye on it because cancer can develop but I haven't had any symptoms since and I am so relieved because it was so very uncomfortable. I was surprised that the gynocologists hadn't even heard of lichen sclerosis. I am convinced that it has something to do with Yasmin. I had never been on the pill before and I took Yasmin for about 8 months and this developed shortly after. I think it threw off my hormones or something..... I hope you figure out the problem and get better!
OK so this all started for me about 6 months ago. I went to the emergency room with horrible pain in my lower abdomen and I was told that I had a cyst that popped. I was then told I had a uti and bacterial vaginosis which I was given antibiotics for. Two weeks later when my cycle passed an I had taken all the pills I was given I had horrible burning and itching again and I was told it was a yeast infection. Ever since then every month a week to a week and a half before my cycle the burning and discharge and itching comes again they tell me its BV or a yeast infection. When the cycle passes I end up with tears in my vaginal area which I was told I had herpes, when I came back two weeks later for the results I was told that my herpers screening came back negative along with everything else they tested me for including HPV and HIV. Every month the vicious cycle repeats itself with so far 4 different doctors offering no solution. Ladies I seriously feel your pain.
PLEASE HELP :( I was diagnosed with step b 3 years ago which I was perscribed antibiotics for, this caused constant bouts of thrush BV and UTI's, I was recently diagnosed with vaginismus and vulvodynia and was give Lyrica for the pain, which seems to work a bit.. the problem is I still have fissures that heal and reapear so sex is a no no.. its took 3years out of my life and im very depressed, I would like to know if anyone has found something useful for fissures apart from constant moisturising!! thanks
I recently experienced the same problem.  I put every anti fungal anti bacterial I could think of. After 2 months and still having fissures and inflammation, I stopped everything and began using Florasone, a natural cortisone type product that does not cause thin skin. Inflammation has gone down 80% in 2 days. Still some discomfort, but huge relief. Also am seeing a homeopathic doctor which I think will help a lot too.  Around the same time as this breakout, I had facial dermatitis for the first time ever. That has almost gone away from the meds from the homeopathic doctor in only two days.
I have had this problem beginning two months ago. I used all sorts of anti fungal and anti bacterial products and nothing helped.  Monistat, tea tree, oregano oil, iodine,  honey... Etc. they seemed to help for awhile and then stop. Seemed like I got more and more inflamed. I stopped everything and started using Florasone, a homeopathic cortisone alternative that does not cause skin thinning. Within two days the inflammation is down 80%. I still have some itching but it is tolerable. Will keep using to see what happens. I am also seeing a homeopathic doctor for this.
Best wishes
I have the exact same problem, treated it the same way, and the cuts keep coming back every time i have intercourse ( even though i always make sure am not dry). Its really annoying and totally ruins my sex life (1 partner ever). Diagnosed twice and both times was told fissure resulted from me being too dry. Not true!!!!! Im so baffled...... :(
I suffered from these papercuts after going back on the pill after giving birth which gave me permanent thrush for about a year. Doctor told me it was not the pill causing the thrush/yeast infection.  I took myself off the pill and the thrush eased off - it was the pill and my yeast levels were comletley out of control. A while after this the fissures began. The GOOD NEWS is I found a solution! I was using KY jelly to help with intercourse and found out it is full of glycerin - which can cause papercuts.  I now use olive soap for washing (the only soap with no glycerin - you can buy in any health shop) and coconut oil (also health shop) as lubricant and the fissures have healed up.  It's a miracle it was so painful and depressing and I thought I would have it forever.  I would also suggest natural tampons/pads and eco washing powders and fabric softners - and NO GLYCERIN!!!  The coconut oil can also be applied to ease dryness or soreness after a perios (periods)/sex or in general.  It is a miracle cure and I hope it works for all of you.  Emma
Thank you SO much for your comments; you really helped me out. I'm 18 and have been dealing with this issue for quite some time now. Your diagnosis was spot on; no more bleach for me.
I honestly don't know what it is....I know in 2005 I came down with the itching, burning, and it felt like tears around the vigina (vagina) and anal area...drove me crazy for 5 yrs.  went to dr.s and was checked for different things and all came back neg.  All of a sudden, in 2010 it totally disappeared, and it was awesome. but in the last 2-3 weeks it started up again...It seemed to try to start up each month right when I started my period..but not this time....I don't have a discharge like a yeast infection, its weird. and i wish someone out there could tell me whats going on...I do know I am severely anemic and I have found out that being anemic can cause sooooo many health problems. I been anemic for several yrs. so I'm thinking this may have something do to with it....but why can't a dr. tell me this....Why can't they tell me whats causing this and whats going on....its funny, 5 yrs. of it and all of a sudden it is gone....and now its back... If someone can tell me, I wish they would email me @ ***@****
I have had these fissures for 3 years now. I am older than most of you and I have genital herpes for 25 years. For some reason I get outbreaks with fever and exhaustion and then I get those darn paper cut woulds in the perineal area. That is where I did get the original sore when i had the herpes but now when i get recurrences i get tears instead. weird. I have bad outbreak as i write. Been exhausted and even get gastrointestinal symptoms when i get this. awful. my doc said to use hydrocortisone with aloe vera in it and that really helps111..i hope it does not get worse in time as I cant take many more of these darn cuts
I have to agree with the assumption that Yasmin may have played a part in causing LS. I had a super fast onset of Advanced LS within 4 months of starting Yasmin. Intercourse was increasingly painful as each time passed and within in 1 months time I had went from normal coloring to completely white. I have seen a case study done on this in 2002 that showed a high ration of women had LS following being perscribed high progesterone or low estrogen birth control.
I too have had the same problem.  One comminality in all women is toilet paper.  Some soft, some fibrous, some rough.  I just changed to another toilet tissue (White Cloud).  I like it because it holds up, but it is not as soft as others (Kirkland Brand).  Anyway, I used it yesterday for the first time and this morning I felt burning and found streaked blood on my tissue.  I believe it's the roughness of the tissue behind the ripping/tearing of the area.

I will change to another as I have extra and see what happens.  In the meantime I will use a Cortisoid cream to help clear this one up.

Let me know what you all think?

Thanks.
Hi guys, I am 23, have been married for 2 1/2 years and been with the same man for almost 5 years. I have the mirena so we dont use any other form of birth control. I frequently get yeast and bacterial infections and have battled with those for several years. I now take probiotics and make sure i rinse before and after sex along with urinating. I don't use any hards soap with washing and i have used the same laundry detergent for years. I do not have periods, maybe some brown or pink discharge for a couple days a month but the mirena has made them almost disapear. I noticed the other day that i was starting to itch down there, from my vagina all the way to my butt. I thought i was getting another yeast infection but thought it was strange that i didnt have thick white discharge with little yeast spots. That night the itchy was unbearable and i started to swell, 2 days later i had my well woman check up and told my gyno what was going on. He said i didnt have a yeast or bacterial infection and that it was itching from extra moisture. It wasnt only itching but it was extremly soar and swollen. He pretty much dismissed me and i went home and did everything i could to keep my vagina area dry and breathable. Here it is 4 days later and i have what looks and feels like paper cuts on my inner labias. The spots are red and burn so bad when i pee. I dont have an std obviously or an infection so why is this happening? I tried monistat for the itch and preperation h for the burning, nothing helps and its getting worse. It wont go away. I have had itching and burning with an infection but why now without one? I have googled and googled for answers but can't find one. It hurts to sit and pee and it itches at night. Im miserable! Will this go away or do i have to live with this? I havent been under an abnormal amount o stress so i can't find a logical answer. I also do not wipe since this has happened i use a squirt bottle after i pee to cleanse the area. I hope someone can please help me.
try a tampon saturated w organic plain yogurt.  insert or place on vaginal opening. So soothing and cures yeast.  Consider diet as a yeast control option
Are you still free of this? I have been suffering with a reoccurring cut on my vaginal opening for 8 months now :/ when it originally occurred I went to the drs and they said it is a little cut and to abstain from sex. I did that and it stopped hurting as soon as I have sex tho it seems to open back up. I went back to drs and without examination she told me it was vaginosis which I found really scary as there is no cause or real treatment :( after a couple of weeks I Had a look down below and can see what looks like a round graze Inbetween the fold of my vaginal opening... I thought this was good as if I could see it I could heal it and helped me not thinking I was mad and making it all up, however months later after abstaining for sex for weeks on end it is still there and is always red, inflamed and sensitive to the touch after sex :( I'm 29 and never had anything like this before I don't know wher it come from or how to solve it! My partner is supportive but think that it is them hurting me and is affecting both our confidence in bed so I don't like to discuss it or make a big deal although it is affecting my libido, body image and self esteem I feel broken. My partner says drs know nothing about vaginas and reading the threads on forums I think they are right! I don't no what to do I'm scard it will come between us and they will get sick of it like I Amanda leave me I just want to be normal please help!
Hi All,

Just a story to share with you from my own personal experience, which might help give some insight into this frustrating and difficult condition.
I'm a 26 year old girl, on the pill, with only three previous sexual partners before my current boyfriend. We both had full STD checks before we started sleeping together and came back clean.

I have a mild history of yeast infections - nothing severe, and they seemed to clear fine from topical medication (Canesten Cream). Id never obtained a fissure with any of my other partners, but figured I had this time round as A) my boyfriend is quite big especially girthwise and B) We were having multiple intercourse sessions when we began!

Anyway, I initially topically treated with hydrocortisone cream, which helped, but the fissure kept recurring eveytime we slept together. My GP referred me to an GYN directly.

Although I was no longer feeling clinical symptoms of a yeast infection, she suspected there was a refractory one at play, and so put me on a course of fluconazole (150mg)  - one tablet weekly for 4 weeks.

She did a full internal speculum exam, palpation and uterine and ovary ultrasound. I felt pain and sensitivity with her internal digital exam, at which point she described me as experiencing spasm of the muscles in around my vagina and perineum. This subsequently tightens the area significantly, prediposing to tearing on penentration. She referred me for specialist Women's Health physio, prescribed Dermovate cream (0.05% w/v)  to apply to the fissure nightly and told me she'd see me again in a month.

I am now one month in, and went for my revisit. The fissure has healed well, although I do still experience some discomfort on penetraion, especially if the second sexual session ie morning sex after night sex before. Although I was experiencing no signs of a yeast infection, she once again saw some internal discharge which she expects may be one. She has prescribed me a further 8 weeks of fluconazole. Howevr such a long course of this drug requires blood tests to check liver function tests. So I have base parameters taken now and will have another in 4 weeks, to ensure all is ok before I start the final 4 weeks.

I've only managed to have one physio session, as the lady was away on holidays, but she agreed with the doctors diagnosis of spasm, and said I was engaging my pelvic floor continuously, and need to learn to releace it and let it drop. She showed me a series of breathing excercies, to help me release my pelvis floor, advised I take Acidophilus, which is a probiotic supplement, as well as cranberry supplements daily - to promote my vaginal environemtal health. She also advise I ensure that I empty my bladder 8-10 times a day. Alot I know, but apparently holding in your pee, is bad for making you tighten your pelvis floor muscles.

I will have a follow up session with her in one month.

SO ladies, my adivise is A) dont sit on the issue - there are plenty of things to do!
B) Take a holistic approach with doctors, physios and lifestyle

I'll post my follow up info as it occurs

Best of luck out there getting yoursleves happy and healthy, and enjoying your sex lives again!!

PS check out this website for more info on physio exercises

http://www.pelvicphysiotherapy.com/
Lani3366 did you ever get cured of your vag. problems? I have the same exact problems as you that may have started the same way. Please reply
Thank goodness I found this website.  I just typed in 'fissure in the vagina' and got you guys.  I finally looked down there today with a mirror and couldn't believe what I saw.  It looked like a big cut and is painful and I put some neosporum (I know, its wrong)) on it.  Don't know if  it will help.  On top of this I have vulvodynia (fibromyalgia of the vagina).  Yep, there is such a thing.
tipperboo
I have had vulvodynia for 3 years now.  I have everything that you could possibly find about it.  It is 'fibromyalgia of the vagina' and is extremely painful.  Here is what is said about it.  In the search line type;
home remedies for vaginal pain and vulvodynia.
I also have interstitiall cystitis which is very itchy and my doctor told me to use what you would use for the itch of a hemrroid.  I scratched myself really rough and I have long nails and I think I gave myself this fissure, but it is not healing.  If you want to know more about vulvodynia, there is a lot of info out there.  Hope this helps.
I has similar issues and the result was Strep A infection.  I nicked myself shaving and thought nothing of it..  I'd been feeling like I had a yeast infection (which I tend to get, mildy, with my period) though so thought it was jut a bad one and took a Difluction pill last Monday.  By Wed, I was covered in cuts, sores, blisters - it looked like long cuts and it was beyond painful.  I did look at a lot of the forums and saw that yeast could get really bad, so I still thought it was that, and also a potential UTI.  

Wed I went to the on call doctor, who found white blood cells in my urine and diagnosed a UTI, but when she examined me the first thing she said was that she thought it looked like Herpes.  I have been with the same man for 14yrs - haven't been with anyone else and I am sure he hadn't either.  I also saw that this was a common issue with doctors assuming that's what it is. I told her to do whatever tests she needed to and just get me relief because at this point I hurt so bad I could not even go to work.  She prescribed Macrobid for the UTI and said to use a cream type of yeast infection treatment, which I started both on Thursday.

Sunday, still no relief and feeling awful, the other on call doctor calls me and says they got my results back.  I had no idea doctors got results on Sundays!  Clear on ghonnerhea (sp?) and chlamidia (sp?) which I didn't even know I was being tested for.

I tested positive however for group strep a bacteria, likely from the cut, and he told me I needed to go to ER to have it checked again (to make sure it hadn't progressed, it can be very serious) to be safe and for a medication change.  After 7hrs at the ER (not even kidding) I was given Amoxicillen. Just started it yesterday (twice a day/7 days) and after only 3 doses I am feeling so much better and starting to heal.

The doctors need to take this more seriously and not just jump to conclusions, the first doctor wanted to start me on treatment for it right away, but I refused.  And to note, those tests came back today negative as well.

Not sure yet how I contracted strep but am on the road to healing and hopefully can resume relations with my husband soon, he's been very patient!

I hope this helps someone!
Viewing 201-235 comments: