bleeding after sex, clear discharge, scared to death

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am 45yo, taking Loestrin for 5 yrs. 2 yrs ago was diagnosed with fibroids. 6 months ago had t/v and abdominal sonogram, normal except for fibroids. For the last 8 months or so I have had intermittent bleeding after sex/orgasm, bright red blood. I have also been having clear odorless discharge, enough so I wear a panty liner most days. I assumed these symptoms were either because of the pill, perimenopause or fibroids. I don't have overly painful or heavy periods - suppose the pill is keeping fibroid symptoms at bay. I had an appointment with GYN 2 days ago and when I told her about the bleeding she did an endometrial biopsy in office - said she wanted to rule out endometrial or cervical cancer. She also did blood tests to rule out thyroid problems or pregnancy. I am now waiting for the results and scared to death - since I had a clean pap 6 months ago and ultrasound was OK except for fibroids cancer didn't even come to mind. My MIL, who never smoked in her life, died of lung cancer in August (4 months from diagnosis to death) and I don't know what I would do if I also had cancer - so scared right now :(
This condition is called post coital bleeding. It is most commonly seen in vaginal infection like Chlamydia, gonorrhea, vaginal inflammation etc. it could also be due to disease of endometrium that is lining of uterus, polyps (mass) in uterus and cervix, fibroid tumors or cervical cancer etc.

Wait for the biopsy report to rule out any caner and if it comes normal then you should get the treatment for fibroids.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.