multiple cystic follicles

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

multiple cystic follicles

what does an ultrasound mean when it shows multiple cystic follicles? does that mean my eggs are normal or old?

This discussion is related to what is follicles in  the  ovary?.
Tags: follicles
Multiple cystic follicles can be due to polycystic ovaries or multifollicular ovaries. The term multifollicular or multicystic ovary is applied in the incidence of 6 or more follicles (small sacs containing the ovum), each with a diameter of 4 – 8 mm which can even expand to 10 mm in cases of exception, whereas a normal ovary will show one, at the most two fully developed follicles. A clear distinction should be made between this condition and polycystic ovaries, where the patient will also show hormonal changes as well as changes in her metabolism.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing

Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals