Women's Health Community
painful intercourse and irregular mensturation
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

painful intercourse and irregular mensturation

I have been experiencing irregular periods and painful intercourse. I have a thirteen-month-old (my first and only child)and stopped breast-feeding gradually, finally stopping altogether when she was 10 months. My period returned about 3 months post-partum but my periods have been becoming increasingly irregular, with a pattern of having one cycle that is as long as 32 days, then another that is only 23 days.  It seems if one cycle is short, the next will be long.  Is my body still trying to recover from a pregnancy that ended over a year ago?  This alone would not have me worried if it were not combined with recent pain during intercourse.  It is a deep pain, during deep penetration. I have been experiencing stress, but this stress has been off and on for a year or so and has been some what alleviated as of late and so I doubt this to be a culprit.  I only add this as I read that if a woman is not relaxed and aroused, then the vaginal mucles do not relax and this might cause pain, but would this pain be of the deep kind?

I am looking for possible causes and wondering if these two symptoms could be related and could be symptoms of a more serious problem.