563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
GM and TB
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
229 members

GM and TB

last week a breast specialist suggested i undergo mantoux test to rule out 'breast tuberculosis' (if i heard it correctly). so i did, and got the reading today, which is 20mm. my sister, who is also a doctor but in a different field, says that any reading above 14mm mean i have an active TB. what does this mean? i have TB now? what does it have to do with GM? my next appointment is in 2weeks time, i cant hardly wait till then to understand all these...
Tags: GM, TB
I was tested for TB also, but it was negative.
did your doctor explain why the test was necessary?
i did some online search and found out there is a higher risk for TB for "Persons who are immunosuppressed for other reasons" (e.g., taking the equivalent of >15 mg/day of prednisone for 1 month or longer) and i had like 30-40mg prednisone for 4months..
but i also found that "False positives can also occur when the injected area is touched, causing swelling and itching" which i think i may had scratched the place in my sleep.
maybe i should not worry, yet?
i really hope more people will response. its so quite here these days..
I haven't heard of anything llike that;  I was diagnosed with IGM about 4 yrs. ago.   I see a specialist in Hamilton, Ontario again in June; I'm going to try to remember to ask her about it.  It's an interesting matter in relationship to the IGM.
    If the doctor was concerned about you testing positive, the local health unit would be knocking on your door and testing everyone in the household.   I hope that all works out for you.

During appointment today, the breast clinic referred me to a chest doctor to check on the TB. Turns out, as rare as granulomatous mastitis is, breast TB is even more uncommon.

The specialists had quite a passionate discussion among them about my case (although one of them actually just Google to find out more about the disease, right in front of me, and read the same case study I already did). They are very uncomfortable about treating me, since they are unfamiliar with it. Furthermore, I'm 6weeks pregnant, so they have to wait till I'm in my 2nd trimester to conduct X-ray.

So they referred me back to the breast clinic and asked for another core biopsy and culture test. I already have severe abscesses from my previous biopsies, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hope this one would not flare up.

To jackpat, from what little I know, I think breast TB may not necessarily means I have lung TB. And since I'm not having any other symptoms of TB like cough or fever, even if it's TB, it is unlikely to be infectious. Well, I sure hope so, at least. I have two very young kids at home, and I'd hate myself forever if I happen to infect any sort of diseases to them.

The impression I got was that GM somehow is related or looks like or is grainy in some way like TB, so why not do the test.  Also, I had been through Europe recently. It wasn't a serious threat, more like covering the chance, then move on.
Hi There:

From the little I know, TB is also a disease defined by granulomas:

'Granuloma is a medical term for a tiny collection of immune cells known as macrophages[1]. Granulomas form when the immune system attempts to wall off substances that it perceives as foreign but is unable to eliminate. A granuloma is therefore a special type of inflammation that can occur in a wide variety of diseases [1]. The adjective granulomatous means characterized by granulomas.

Therefore when they see granulomas in the breast, they want to rule out TB as the cause, as Breast TB also appears similar clinically and can rarely be a cause.  Inflammatory Breast Cancer is also almost indistinguishable even to pathologists, running the proper tests and screens.

As a separate issue, anyone going on Prednisone or other drug that seriously suppresses the immune system, needs to be tested for TB exposure as a precaution, as if this, or any other disease are already present, they can overrun the system as soon as the immune system is suppressed, with the Prednisone or other drug.

Again - this is my limited understanding and interpretation of the med stuff...not intended as medical advice...but as a fellow GM sufferer's attempt at understanding of all of the medical stuff thrown at you when your breast hurts so bad you just want to scream, not think!

Jo
I work in international development and was in Peru the last time that I had a flare up. The doctor had to perform emergency surgery without anesthesia. It was horrific. As I was recovering, she told me that it could be breast TB as well. None of my doctors in Spain or the U.S. mentioned this. I have not been tested yet but I plan to. I don't have health insurance because I was receiving excellent care in Spain for free and when I moved back to the U.S. (I'm from Washington DC but live in North Carolina) I returned with a preexisting condition, of course! So now I'm not only dealing with IGM but major medical bills. Please keep me informed about any information that you have about your breast TB. Thank you!
Hi, sorry this is such a delayed response! TB was initially brought up when we still didn't know what exactly was wrong with me, however, I've been immunized for TB as a child and will always test positive (although not a carrier)
Heathercmck joined this group
Welcome them!
Apr 02
ummtalha joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 26
87CareBear joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 19