563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
Has seeming vanquished GM ever returned for anyone?
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
248 members

Hello all,

I haven't been back on this forum in months, I am so thankful to say. My GM started in 2010 while I was pregnant and continued for several months after giving birth to my little boy. I am thankful to say that I haven't had a flare-up in around two years. My husband and I are considering having another baby, but the chance of GM returning is obviously a scary thought for us. Has anyone had any experience with GM going away for 1-2 years and then returning?

Thank you,
Margaret Ann
Oops--I meant "seemingly" vanquished!
Hi Margaret,

My GM was the worst during 2010, and 2011....around the same time as you. My symptoms cleared up early last year and were gone for more than a year, but recently they have come back. I know that is not reassuring. I am hopeful that I will improve again soon. This is such a frustrating disease!

Did you do anything specific that you could identify that made your symptoms better?

Jennifer
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for responding. I remember your screen name from when I was on this forum all the time. I am so sorry to hear that you are having symptoms again. Now that I'm thinking about it more clearly, I did have a short recurrence of symptoms myself about a year after the GM went away. They only lasted a few weeks, and they were not severe, but the emotional response I had to the pain was way worse than the pain itself. GM IS so frustrating.

My GM seemed to be linked up with my milk ducts in a way that not everyone experiences (I remember another forum member at the time who was successfully breastfeeding her baby during active GM). I started having GM symptoms when I was pregnant, and after I gave birth, I was completely unable to nurse on my GM side--I couldn't bear to try to pump more than a few times since the pain was so intense. I had abscesses that kept filling and bursting, of course, but after my son was born, they started aspirating breast milk from my abscesses during ultrasounds. Eventually every doctor I was seeing  agreed that it was time for me to stop breastfeeding. That, combined with a very long course of antibiotics, seemed to be what I needed to get over the bulk of my symptoms. But I also have trouble remembering all the details from that time. I had really good doctors, too--Dr. Mary Laya (University of Washington) became one of my main doctors, and she was treating a bunch of cases of GM at the time. Seeing a doctor who actually had experience with GM made a huge difference.

Thanks again for responding,
Margaret Ann
momnyc joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 13
B22mama joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 12
Sar024 joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 19