563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
When is the right time for mastectomy?
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
289 members

When is the right time for mastectomy?

Hi, I am 38 and I have two boys 10 and 8;  I breastfeeding them for around a year to each one. My Dr found the GM one year ago and I had had abcesses each three months I donot why but is each three month and in the same side of my right breast. I had been in a treatment with prednisone and Methotrexate for one year but the abscess goes away and comes back, so I guess that the medicine is not working in my body, at less not for the GM, b/c is killing me with the side effects. I would like to start think on the mastectomy but i am really confused. yesterday I was on the Dr and actually I have a drain until tomorrow when the Dr will change it.
I have decided do not take more the predinison neither the Methotrexate and wait to see what is going to happen me, but I am afraid that the abcesses could come back more frecuently.
Based in your experience somebody can help me??
Hi Mora74, I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this disease.  I wish I could help you and give you advice, but I am new to this all.  My first symptom started 3 months ago.

If you have time I would suggest to read all the previous posts on this forum.  It takes time but you may be able to get some answers that way.  I haven't read every single post yet, but if you do read, alot of women share their experience and you can get good information from that.

I wish you the best and hope you find answers and find relief too.
I have also had this illness for just three months. I have had one round of oral prednisolone and one prednisolone injection. They reduced the swelling a bit, but did not eliminate the problem. I refused to take methotrexate because I cannot accept the possible side effects. I am also refusing more prednisolone because of side effects and because it does not work completely. My doctor is trying me on doxycycline just in case this is caused by a corynebacterium. I am seriously considering mastectomy.
My doctor said your breast will never heal and that its best just to fight the infection.
I mean thats what she told me.. I'm glad we did nothing but some meds and visits to remove some needles to drain the infection.

LiliaMC is devastated by last night... Comment
May 25
LiliaMC commented on Clifford47's status
May 24
Smiles4TheSoul joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 21