Aa
MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can you have acute HIV symptoms 9 weeks after exposure?

Hello Doctor,
I have posted a question before, so you can put my question under the first inquiry I put in before.
Well my question is pretty simple, Can a person have acute hiv symptoms at 9 weeks after exposure?
I am still worried my 8 week negative test will show positive at 12-13 weeks.
7 days ago I got a soar under my tongue.
3 days ago ( 8 1/2 weeks after exposure) I got a very soar throat and a very runny nose, with a headache, and I developed a fever of 101, then went to 102, but went back to normal after taking tylenol. I went to ER and told the doctor about my situation.
He diagnosed me with Pharyngitis and gave me an antibiotic. I develope a rash on my arm, its redish but not very, a little bumpy and it itches. It is forms a circle on my around the diameter of an inch an a half. There is no rash any where else.
I am worried that hiv took that long to show up with symptoms on my body.
Your answer would be highly appreciated.
Thank you so much.
Sal
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had the worse 7 weeks of my life.  I went for a check-up to the Dr. in mid June because I was not feeling well.  Dr. did his usual exams and sent me to Lab Corp., to get some blood work done.  Along with the usual blood work, he ordered a bunch of STD tests including HIV.  My first thought was, "what the heck did he see that he is sending me to do this?".. I spent all weekend on the internet looking up my symptoms.  All my symptoms pointed to HIV.  The more I researched, the more symptoms I had. 4 days later my tests all came back negative.  I was temporarily relieved, but then I started to second guess the results.  In my mind, I was saying "well, the test could be wrong..... 2 weeks later, health conditions getting worse, I had another HIV test, this time I had the oral Elisa test which gives you the results in 20 minutes.... Came back negative.  I kept researching the internet and foound that these tests only search for Anti-bodies and not the actual virus, so here I go again thinking that my body hasn't developed the Anti-bodies because my T-Cells are still high enough.... I go back to my Dr. and ask him to give me a PCR test which he said he would just to make me happy, but he was sure it would come back negative.. I asked him why he felt so sure and he said that the Elisa test was 99% accurate and that I should stop looking in the internet because it was making me worse. I was obsessed with this issue to the point that it gave me a post-anxiety disorder and completely screwed me up mentally and physically. After a week of waiting for the PCR test to come back, the results were once again negative.  This time the Dr. said, go home, relax it is 100% certain YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV.  needless to say, at that point, I regained my appetitite after losing 20 lbs, my nerves came back to normal, I no longer had panic attacks and i feel good.  WHY DID I POST THIS LONG STORY?.... STAY OUT OF THE INTERNET, IT WILL MAKE YOU WORSE. TRUST YOUR DOCTOR AND STAY AWAY FROM RISKY BEHAVIOR.
Helpful - 4
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
As I have said so many times, symptoms NEVER are a reliable indicator for or against HIV infection.  Sounds like you caught a cold.  I'm not sure about the rash, but none of this suggests HIV.  And no, you can't get acute HIV symptoms so late; your 8 week HIV test result was reliable; and a follow up test at 12-13 weeks (or any other time) will remain negative.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 3
A related discussion, My Experience was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, waiting for answer from HHH was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, HIV Symptoms or due to Anxiety was started.
Helpful - 0
I'm sure it would be.
Helpful - 0
Will a 6 week Home Access be reliable as well?
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much doctor.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.