Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
995 Members

What is intervention?

I realize this is an odd question, but what is an intervention and what is the best way to perform these?  Can you do an intervention just to help someone realize they have a problem or do you always need to have a rehab trip ready?  I have watched the show Intervention briefly but don't know how to organize one that would be effective for an alcoholic.
Most interventions don't go very well!  You really need to know what you're doing and have a professional involved,I think. And,yes,I think it's important to have a plan for help in place immediately.  You may want to talk to your family doctor.
Intervetions can work but its very important to have someone who has alot of experance in holding an interventions..Then you and your loved ones write down have there addiction has affected them and there relationship with each .Typicialy something is set up to bring the person right to rehab after the intervention if you can get them to agree to go.
Thanks for explaining, it definitely sounds like getting someone to help (counselor) is the best option.  He is getting to the point where he wants help so I am hoping this won't be needed, but I wanted to cover all of our bases.
Agreed with the previous comments.  Whatever kind of intervention is done, usually a professional is consulted or in attendance.

Interventions traditionally don't have a high success rate but what I advise people to look into is CRAFT (Community Reinforcement and Family Training). It's a supportive, motivational approach to help a loved-one enter treatment and is not coercive.  CRAFT has 3x the success rate as traditional interventions in getting a loved-one into treatment.  

Here are some resources with more information:

http://www.practicalrecovery.com/pr/services-2/intervention/craft-2/
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/treatment/371_alternative_to_intervention.html

I would like to suggest that the person you choose for a counsellor be chosen from your areas medical staff. A great many alchoho0l and drug councillors are ex-addicts themselves and an intervention isn't the place they would be at their best. A specialist with a masters at least should be called in , although that is a hard thing to get, but the lack of extended schooling for 'counsellors' is a worry. most A&D workers are only sporting a 1-2 year program.
Have you ever watched the TV show intervention on A&E?
An intervention is a deliberate process by which change is introduced into peoples' thoughts,feelings and behaviors. The overall objective of an intervention is to confront a person in a non-threatening way and allow them to see their self-destructive behavior, and how it affects themselves, family and friends.