Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

neurontin and withdrawal

How many people on this site have been put on neurontin for pain issues, etc?

I have done reading on the side effects, withdrawals from this drug and it is scary.   I have a whole *hitload of this stuff and have not touched it.  

Why are we becoming the guinea pigs for many of these drugs that have been on the market for a short time?  I just would like some feedback.

Chuck
Some people have had good success with neurontin. It depends on the type of pain you are having.
My doctor just recently prescribed neurontin for me - and I have yet to take it as well!  She told me it should help with my anxiety, but I'm reluctant to take new medications that have side effect lists like this one!!  I wish I had something helpful for you, just wanted to tell you that I'm in the same boat!  :)
Do you have anymore info about this med?  The side effects are really scary...
i have been on neurontin for about 2 years. it can be used to treat nerve pain, and of course it's a seizure medication. It does work, however give it a bit to get into your system. Also, you may have to adjust your dosage depending on your tolerance to it. I was taking 600's twice a day, and it will make you dizzy, and not so much out of it, but a bit slow to react. however, everyone is different. Once they lowered my dose to 300, I was quite content on it. A WORD OF CAUTION: Do not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES abruptly stop this medication. It WILL cause seizures. (which is sort of ironic, since it's an anti-convulsant med..) If your unhappy with it, talk to your dr, and they will get you on a step down program. AS long as your on a regimented schedule, it wil be great for pain.

Hope this helps! Any other questions, please let me know!

Hope this helps.
Yeah My girlfriend had complications after a hernia surgery and she was put on this stuff. She doesn't take or enjoy pills at all and the doctor was very careful with this stuff. She was on for a few weeks and then they slowly tapered her off because as stated above it can cause seizures if you abrubtly stop. it didn't even help her pain either but that is not really relevant. It doesn't seem like much is known about this stuff so i would be careful.
OH, BTW.. this med will make you drowsy... When I take this, I have NO problems sleeping at night that's for sure..