Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

seizure

I OVERDOSED ON MORPHINE.WHILE THE JAIL CELLS I HAD MULTIPLE GRANMAL SEIZURES.
THE CADET GUARDS DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.THEY TOOK TURNS SHAKING ME,YELLING IN MY EAR,CAUSED PAIN TO GET ME TO COME TO.I FINALLY GOT TO THE CRITICAL CARE UNIT CLOSE TO DEATH,THER I HAD CONVULTIONS AND MORE SEIZURES.
WHAT KIND OF BRAIN DAMAGE COULD HAVE BEEN INCURED WHILE BEING MISTREATED
FOR THE SEIZURES.I DO NOT HAVE THE SAME MEMORY.I AM NOTNEAR AS ORGANIZED AS BEFORE.I GET CONFUSED EASILY.IS THIS NORMAL AND WILL IT GET BETTER OR WORSE.

PLEASE HELP,
                                                                                                      ROD
It's still early so many might not respond right away.  I don't have any answers for you. I think most of your questions should be answered by a doctor. Hang in there and keep posting we will help all we can.    Mary
First of all, any officer of the law, in order to treat any inmate, has to be certified in CPR, First Aid, and alot of other procedures, and this is especially ONE of them! It's common in inmates who are detoxing cold turkey off of strong meds like morphine, and even worse on heroine!
My sister worked in a prison for 11 years and she explained to me that without proper care, an inmate could suffer long term injuries OR EVEN death if not treated properly, thus meaning a LAW SUIT if permanent injuries ARE indeed proven to be from the guards' lack of knowledge and negligence! My grandmother is a lawyer and she's represented clients like this.. and won!
Once I went to a hospital with my ex husband, and RIGHT NEXT to my husband's ER bed was a woman who was brought in like 5 mts after WE got there, who suffered seizures directly before coming in from the jail! The idiots didn't know what to do, so they shook her and everything else they weren't supposed to do... so she died right when we were there! Oh good God it was awful to see!
However, you are still here, and thank GOD!
Go to a physician and get his opinion on the matter- when someone is having a seizure, you are to NOT try and shake them or anything else that could promote injury.. instead, you are to turn them to their side, place something soft by their teeth so they don't break their teeth nor bite their tongue, etc etc etc.. What are those guards, retards or what?? Don't get ME started! The jail needs to RETHINK the way they hire guards- especially ones who haven't a dam clue in first aid..
I went to the police academy, and I KNOW what the hell do when someone's having a seizure or choking.. but it doesn't take a genius to figure that out either!
Definitely contact your physician..
How long ago did this happen??
First off, all should know that detox in general can cause seizures.  It's not recommended to go "cold turkey" off of anything for that reason.  Seizures are more likely with alcohol or high doses for long periods of any opiate.  When in jail, most officials remain unconcerned with their guest's addictions.  Generally they don't do a thing, UNLESS, someone starts with severe w/d s/s.  Then, the docs there generally give something like Clonidine to help with these.  Seizures can cause temporary lack of oxygen to the brain, which is why anyone watching a seizure is supposed to note onset, whether or not the person lost consciousness, breathing (did it stop), and more.  Someone in charge of other people should be versed in general medical care, say CPR, s/s of stroke (CVA), s/s heart attack (MI), seizure protocol, etc.  Any idiot should know that causing harm to someone isn't helping them.  While loss of short-term memory after a seizure is normal, it should not be lasting, especially after just one.  You should be evaluated to make sure nothing else is happening and that you're not experiencing "absence seizures" or something like that.  Although stupid and not at all helpful, the guards most likely did not harm you with their "revival tactics".  The only harm they may have done, was by not getting assistance/treatment during/after the seizure.
yes a person can have brain damage from seizures. If they stop breathing for a period of time. What caused the seizures? Withdrawal? Too much ?
As I stated earlier, and Clamity is saying, yes it is possible to get brain damage from seizures, but read my full context above.  It is not common.  You'd have to be suffering from severe, repeated, constant seizures, and with no medical attention.  Some people who have seizure disorders often stop breathing during a seizure but it's such a short period of time.  In severe cases, say an E.R. and someone's seizing badly, oxygen would be applied.  You do not have brain damage.
I checked out my sister-in-law's medical book.. and found this:

In status epilepticus, the most serious seizure disorder and a medical emergency, the seizure does not stop. Electrical discharges occur throughout the brain. The discharges produce a generalized seizure lasting more than 15 minutes or recurring seizures between which the person does not completely regain consciousness. The person has convulsions with intense muscle contractions and cannot breathe adequately. Without rapid treatment, the heart and brain can become overtaxed and permanently damaged, and the person may die.

Seizures may have serious consequences. Intense, rapid muscle contractions can cause injuries, including broken bones. Sudden loss of consciousness can cause serious injury due to falls and accidents. The turbulent electrical activity of convulsive seizures that recur without recovery between them can cause brain damage. Most people who have a seizure disorder experience dozens or more seizures in their lives without serious brain damage. A single seizure does not impair intelligence, but recurring convulsive seizures may eventually do so.

A seizure can cause lack of oxygen, yes, thus causing the heart to endure lack of oxygen as well, and if there are underlying problems due to the fact, than yes- there CAN be damage..

I'd definitely get to the ER or a physician for an EMG...