Arthritis Community

Fingers hurt

Anyone have success in treating painful fingers/hands with arthritis? Meds? Supplements?
Hi nannynormi.  :)

First, let me tell you glad I am that you have found us here on the Arthritis Community here on MH (MedHelp).  :)

I, too, suffer with Arthritis and my hands hurt constantly.  I'm so sorry that you are suffering (I'm assuming your asking for yourself) from Arthritis in your hands also.

I'm on Fentanyl & Percocet as well as Celebrex (I , also, have DDD (Degenerative Disc Disease) but there are many over the counter prescriptions you can start with.  One thing I do every nite, is wear soft fuzzy gloves that are made for sleeping in to help keep your hads soft as they keep my hands warm and help to keep them from getting stiff at nite.

One of the very best friend's you can have is your Pharmacist!  They know all there is to know about the different medications and are an invaluable help as they can guide you with what might be best for you in conjunction with any other medications that you might be taking so that nothing will interfere with anything else you are on.  :)  Have you consulted a Rheumatologist yet?  If not you need to be sure that you get diagnosed with X-rays or any other testing that needs to be done so you know definitively what you are facing.  I hope you get the answers and help you are searching for so that you can get the help and relief that you deserve!  

Wishing you the very best and I hope that you will keep us updated as 2 how you are doing.

Looking forward to your updates on how you are doing!     ........        Sherry   :)
Hello and Welcome to our Arthritis Community. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post a question. However I am very sorry to hear that you suffer from the pain of Arthritis. You've come to the right place.

Arthritis runs heavy in my family - from my grandma down to my sister and more. My grandma would rug (or I'd do it for her) a menthol rub (heat) on her hands that she claimed help. She did this several times a day.

My Mom used a heating pad. Sometimes that would increase the swelling but she simply could not tolerate any cold to her hands that does reduce the swelling from the inflammation.

My cuz uses compression gloves at nite. She says she ends up taking them off as they are too warm but she claims they help.

My friend drinks warm Apple Cider Vinegar (my Grandma did that also). Sounds terrible to me and I can hardly stand to watch her - but she claims it really reduces her pain. There are sites on the internet that claim it is effective. Apple Cider Vinegar is also recommended for soaking your hands along with a bit of cayenne pepper in warm water.

My sister, also an RN soaks her hands in Epsom salt when the knuckles of her hands become painful.

I'm blessed that I do not have arthritis in my hands. These are just some tips from loved ones that worked for them.

Please share with us what you find effective for you. I'll look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Hi Sherry! You are so sweet to respond!  Yes, I saw 2 Rheumatologists. They said I only have Osteo Arthritis. Because of my heart/meds I cannot take some things.
You mentioned Fentanyl...what is that? cream? pills?
Hi Tuck! I really appreciate your input! I too am sorry for all the pain your family has had to endure.
I do believe Apple Cider Vinegar works. I hear it from everyone including my cousin.  I just can't get it down. :(
Epsom salts in warm water is great...until I take my hands out. lol
You'd think by now they'd have some magic for us! Gee whiz!
best regards,
Norma
Fentanyl is a patch that you change every 48 to 72 hrs.  The medication is in the adhesive and is released over time.  It is extremely strong, about 80 to 100 times that of morphine.  It's as you can tell, a long acting med for your pain.  It works great for me but as you know, not everything is effective for everyone so you just have to check with your Doctor to see if it's a feasible medication for you.  :)  

FYI: I, too, have heart problems.  I have 5 stents and have CAD (Cardiovascular Disease).  With all of that, Fentanyl works fine for me.  Again, you need to discuss this with your Doctor's.  It helps my arthritic pain and my DDD thru out my entire spine. From the Cervical thru the Thoracic thru the Lumbar.  :(   Don't know where I'd be without my Pain Management.  

Please stay I  touch and let us know how you are doing.  I, actually ALL of us, tend to worry about everyone that posts on here.  :)

Thinking of you and wishing you the BEST!
                 ..........       Sherry   :)  
By the way, there's no such thing as "ONLY" Osteoarthritis.  :)   I used to be 5'4" tall.  NOW, because I'm so stooped at 69 years old, I'm lucky to reach 5' 1 1/2" tall.   As you know, there's no pain like Arthritic pain.  I'm getting ready to have my 4th hip surgery in 2 days.  The first hip replacement for my right leg.  Be VERY careful with you Osteoarthritis  and stay on top of it because it can wind up infecting every joint in your body, as it has mine.  

HANG IN THERE!  I'm here for you, every step of the way.   .......      Sherry   :)
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches