Ask a Pharmacist Forum

Can I take Ambien CR with Cymbalta?

I've been on Cymbalta for Major Depressive Disorder for about 4 months, but I'm not able to stay asleep at night.  I can get to sleep, but awaken at about 1AM and then cannot get back to sleep.  My psychiatrist mentioned that Ambien CR might help.  My questions are:  (1)  Can I take Ambien CR with Cymbalta?  (2)  Are there any side effects for Ambien CR?

Thanks for your help.

Michael
Dear Michael,
Yes you can take Ambien CR with Cymbalta. They are often prescribed together for that very reason. Insomnia actually occurs in about 8% of individuals taking Cymbalta.
AMBIEN CR is a treatment option you and your healthcare provider can consider along with lifestyle changes and can be taken for as long as your provider recommends. Until you know how AMBIEN CR will affect you, you shouldn't drive or operate machinery. Be sure you're able to devote 7 to 8 hours to sleep before being active again. Sleepwalking, and eating or driving while not fully awake, with amnesia for the event, have been reported. If you experience any of these behaviors contact your provider immediately. In rare cases, sleep medicines may cause allergic reactions such as swelling of your tongue or throat, shortness of breath or more severe results. If you have an allergic reaction while using AMBIEN CR, contact your doctor immediately. Side effects may include next-day drowsiness, dizziness, and headache. It's non-narcotic; however, like most sleep medicines, it has some risk of dependency. Don't take it with alcohol.
Best of luck to you,
Jennifer R RPH www.drugstore.com

In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.