From Concerta's manufacture drug label, there are reports on:
1. Urogenital adverse effect: priapism, which is prolong erection of the penis, may be painful.
"Prolonged and painful erections, sometimes requiring surgical intervention, have been reported with methylphenidate products, including CONCERTA®, in both pediatric and adult patients [see Adverse Reactions (6.6)].
Priapism was not reported with drug initiation but developed after some time on the drug, often subsequent to an increase in dose.
Priapism has also appeared during a period of drug withdrawal (drug holidays or during discontinuation). Patients who develop abnormally sustained or frequent and painful erections should seek immediate medical attention."
2. Reproductive adverse effect: erectile dysfunction
3. Psychiatric adverse effect: libido changes
Methylphenidate (Concerta, Ritalin) is in the class of central nervous system stimulants, and it has major effects on our brain and nervous system. It helps to treat ADHD, or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, by helping the patients "focus" better. However, CNS stimulants can also increase blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature, in addition to effecting our mood, appetite, and sleep pattern.
In post marketing reports, methylphenidate had caused sudden death in children and teenagers, especially if they have preconditioned heart problems. FDA placed a black box warning on methylphenidate. Regarding its effect on male reproductive system, there are animals studies that shown methylphenidate may be carcinogenic at high doses. However, the significance of these results to human is unknown.
I do not have enough data to answer your questions, since more human information are needed, especially on long term effects of the medication.
I see you are also on asthma medications. Both Advair and your rescue med, albuterol, can have cardiovascular effects, such as increase blood pressure and heart rate. Please monitor closely with both of your conditions and medications by working closely with your physician and pharmacist.
If you experience serious adverse drug effect(s), please report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program by:
1. calling 1-800-332-1088, or
2. go online:http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch
For more information, please go to:
1. Methylphenidate - Medline Plus
2. Concerta (methylphenidate) - Daily Med
3. The Effect of Chronic Administration of Methylphenidate on Morphometric Parameters of Testes and Fertility in Male Mice - Journal of Reproductive & Infertility
4. Warning Urged on Stimulants Like Ritalin - New York Times
5. DrugFacts: Stimulant ADHD Medications - Methylphenidate and Amphetamines: NIH