Asthma Community

X-Ray report - interpretation

I posted here about 1-2 weeks ago under "Where to start?". I was diagnosed with asthma about 15 years ago (but suspect I had it for at least 20) and have had reccuring sinusitis since about the same time. It is now officially chronic sinusitis. I have had an infection since September. I just received my X-Ray scan results and am looking for some interpretation as to what to expect with the ENT specialist. I have a CT scan and spirometric test scheduled in February and an appointment with the ENT specialist end of April.  Here is the essential info from the X-ray report: CHEST(...) minimal hazy silouetting of the left heart border and left medial hemidiaphragm, likely corresponding to a triangular opacity in the anterior hemithorax (...) represent a fat pad or possibly minimal atelectasis.  (...) No pleural effusions.  (...) cardiomediastinal silouette grossly within normal limits. No significant abnormality identified."  SINUSES: (...) peripheral soft tissue opacification pedominantly on the right maxillary sinus. No air-fluids levels identified to suugest an acute sinusitis. Right maxillary sinus mucosal disease." I researched some of the key words, and am a little worried. Should I be? Am I likely heading for surgery for my sinuses? What can I expect from my first appointment with the ENT specialist? I am nervous because I have never had to meet one before, and the idea of sticking tubes up my nose scares me. All my doctor told me about the report over the phone (before I received the writen report) was that I had chroic sinusitis and blocage of my right axillary sinus. I guess the CT scan will shed more light on what is filling that sinus (polyps, or other)? Will the ENT most likely do a culture or biopsy? I've been researching as I've said - I am so nervous!
No worries, what you have is part and parcel of an airway inflammatory syndrome which apparently affects your lower airway (wheeze) your central airway (cough) and your upper airway (sinus changes on the CT).  The ENT guy will only operate if there is obstruction of the osteomeatal complex or if there is a fluid collection that will not drain of if there are polyps, and you have none of these things.  Antihistamine, decongestant, flonase, saline irrigation, plus or minus singulair and advair, then most of all you need to find what is causing this airway inflammation, maybe allergy but seldom in adults, more likely an occupational or other exposure to something toxic. Look hard at all the other medications you take (ACE inhibitor, SSRI).  Something is causing this, right? FInd it.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.