Avatar universal

lower back pain - uncertain who to turn to for help

In short. I have lower back tightness and pain with inflammation that hasn't gone away for over a year. I do not know which specialist is best suited to treat my symptoms. A chiropractor, rheumatologist, physical medicine and rehabilitation, physical therapist, massage therapist, orthopedic.

A little history. I was obese and started walking several miles every other day or so. Everything was going well, until I started experiencing pain in my lower back. This halted my progress, as one morning the pain and tightness was excruciating to the point that I could barely walk or stand up straight. I stopped walking and doing most physically demanding tasks. The initial severity of the pain subsided; however, menial tasks still trigger tightness and mild pain to this day.

Early on the only thing I knew to do was to get x-rays. The x-rays came back fine, although, I believe I do have lower lumbar lordosis.

Outside of getting the x-rays, I have put off seeking additional help because I figured the tightness and pain would eventually go away, and I didn't know which specialist to turn to for help.

1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
973741 tn?1342342773
Personally, I have had tremendous luck with massage and physical therapy (focusing on stretching an strength and release). I would start there. I would also try to avoid surgery.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Back & Neck Community

Top Pain Answerers
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches