I was diagnosed Bipolar II with minor depression and was put on Lamictal teetering up 25 mg every 2 weeks with 150mg Wellbutrin (Zyban) the aim was to reach 200mg and see how I feel, by the start of the seventh week, I got tiny itchy patches on my cheeks that flaired up after I took the Lamictal… so stopped lamictal, (remained on the wellbutrin) and went on an antihistamine (Atarax) for a 2 weeks 25/50mg, did some surface (72 hour skin contact) allergy tests and came negative for Lamictal so I was put back on it, starting at 5mg and going up 5mg per week till 25mg to resume the dosing up at 25mg bi-weekly. However by the end of my 3rd week (15mg) I had flu symptoms (which at first I thought maybe legitimate, even though I’ve taken the flu jab early October and not feeling it had worked for me this year). To add to the flu symptoms I started having itchy patches on my cheeks, the common denominator with the last two week being that I drank more than I usually do ( up to a bottle of wine a day).
Doing a quick search on the internet told me that my symptoms were like an Acetaminophen toxicity reaction (ie- overdosing on the liver) the only things I have been ingesting that may make these symptoms were most certainly the alcohol and the Lamictal (no pain killers containing Acetaminophen).
Can anybody help me on this one… what is starting to cause the liver toxicity symptoms? Is it the Lamictal? The alcohol, (bearing in mind I know shouldn’t be drinking) with Lamictal, but with such a low dose as 15mg? not sure why I’m getting the tiny bumbs that itch on my cheeks even though the allergy tests for Lamictal stated that im not allergic to it)
Any input on this subject or experiences is very much appreciated.