Bipolar Disorder Community

Omega 3s

I have been diagnosed with bipolar 2 for the past 3 years and on meds. I was also diagnosed with ADD but decided not to take meds for that considering I was already on quite a few. I read that Omega 3s can improve attention and so I decided to give them a try, no side effects. My attention span and ability to focus has increased tremendously. It is crazy how fast it worked as well (past 2 weeks). Ritalin did nothing for me in the past except make matters worse - so I gave up on ADD meds. The Omega 3 supplements have also improved my mood. I wasn't depressed, but I now feel like I have an added boost to my mood. The Seroquel leaves me feeling drugged in the morning and this seems to help wake me up a bit and clear my head.

I have been reading great things about it. Has anyone else here had success with adding Omega 3s to your meds?

**I have been taking a high dose ~5g. I probably don't need that much, but it seems to help. (4 X 1200mg gel capsules of fish oil)**

According to a study by the University of Pittsburg, Omega 3 can have a positive effect on your mood. You can read more at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/03/060303205050.htm
I also use vitamin B Complex for my mood disorder and studies have shown that this may have a positive effect, especially those with bipolar disorder.
Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Michael
Thanks :) I was actually surprised to notice a positive effect when I really wasn't expecting any results from something "natural". I have always thought natural remedies were like snake oil - but this proved me wrong. There is no way I am going to take another medication on top of the 4 I take, so this seems like the next best thing. As long as I am able to study and focus better in school, I will take it. And I do not have to worry about medication interactions and side effects. Maybe it isn't good as medications, but it is better than nothing.
hey there. my dr actually told me to start taking omega 3s after i had read about it in a natural remedy book.  i was pretty stable when i went off the depakote, and started the omegas a little bit later.  i just take 2 pills, and sometimes i forget, but i guess its working cause i havent really been depressed.
I am glad they are working for you as well : ) I am still surprised with how well they are helping me.
Omegas are also really important for women during their menstrual cycles..it lessens the depression associated the cycle (well, for me!)  It also helps with fertility.
Even more I didn't know, thanks :)