Breast Cancer: Stage 1 & 2 Community
12 Members

Throbbing

I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Breast Cancer in my left breast around mid January 2012.   I am going to have surgery this month either a Lumphectomy or Mestectomy.  They are waiting for my Genetic tests to be completed first which should be this coming week.  This will help determine which procedure my doctor will suggests.  Today, I've been having a lot of throbbing pain in that breast and headaches. I was wondering are these normal symptoms of Breast Cancer or is it a sign of it growing?
I don't think that the throbbing pain is due to cancer growing in your breast.Cancer is almost never associated with pain.
If the incision site of the biopsy you had a few weeks ago, looks like it's healing well and there are no signs of infection,like redness and swelling,then pain could be due to nerve irritation or damage caused by the biopsy.It can take several weeks for the nerves to heal,but it should slowly improve along that time line.If the pain persists and is constant,you should seek your doctor's opinion on this matter.
Try not to press your breast to check if it still hurts....You could apply some warm compresses, gently massage your breast, wear a good supportive bra and try not to lift heavy things.You could also take some OTC pain killers,like Tylenol to help ease the pain.
Hoping that your upcoming surgery/ treatments will be uneventful and successful in beating this disease.
Best wishes and good luck!
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.