Breast Cancer Community

Armpit lump for a decade

Doctor, I'm 38 yrs and noticed the small 'ball bearing' lump in my left armpit (since >10 yrs ago) has grown bigger (around 0.8cm) and irregular in shape (to the touch and visible). When I press it, I feel a numbing sensation down the left arm. My left nipple retracted after my 2nd child was born (she's 9 yrs now). The left breast feels heavier and lumpier than the right side, too, and is a little painful when pressed.  I do monthly breast examination but cannot feel lumps in that breast.  Please advise if the armpit lump and other breast symptoms listed above are synonymous with breast cancer.  I dare not go to the doctor as I do not have any health insurance and am afraid that insurance companies will not cover me upon knowing I may have cancer.  Can a small ball bearing like lump become cancer? If so, what stage am I likely to be at?
Hi.  That lump in your armpit which has been there for the past ten years could be a lymph node.  It's too soon to tell if that lump/node is cancerous.  The fact that it's been around for a long time implies that it probably isn't malignant.  I think that the proper thing to do is to have a mammogram or breast ultrasound done, so we can examine your breasts and that armpit lump more closely.  Any suspicious lesions seen on mammogram/ ultrasound may need to be biopsied.  Only then will we be sure what we're dealing with.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.