Breast Cancer Community

Breast Lump Hurts

I found a lump in my left breast (4 oclock) on May 31 and went to the doctor June 1 to have it examined. He then sent me to have a mammogram and an ultrasound on June 3. The doctor there said she was going to schedule me to see the surgeon, even though she couldn't tell me what was wrong (current appointment July 1 - original June 22). Since then, my lump has gone away, (when I started my cycle), but it still hurts in that area. I'm wondering if that is normal for lumps that go away to still hurt? Also, why would I be seeing a surgeon if no one knows what is wrong? Does the ultrasound doctor know something she's not telling me?

I'm 30 years old, both my mother and grandmother have had breast cancer. (Which is why I checked it out so fast!)
First of all, pain in the breast is rarely associated with cancer,if the lump has disappeared, it could simply mean a cyclical fluctuations in hormone levels, which could be effecting your breast tissue.Cysts tend to enlarge and shrink before and after menstruation.
Even though the lump has gone,it could still reappear before your next menstrual cycle.
Seeing a breast Surgeon is important because first of all, he/she will explain to you in details what the radiologist has stated on your tests report and also if further investigation is needed.
Since you have a family history of BC, I would advise you to keep the appointment as scheduled.It might be really nothing to worry about..but it's always better to make sure.
Best wishes and good luck..
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.