Breast Cancer Community

Breast lump while breast feeding?

Hi...im 24yr n have just discovered a lump in my left breast near my armpit. I have a 4 month old baby n he's totally on breast-feed. im really worried about this lump, can it be cancer? will it harm my baby?

Hormones, such as those associated with puberty, pregnacy, etc., can stimulate the grow of benign lumps such as cysts and fibroadenomas. These are not harmful to your baby.

On the other hand, it IS possible to develop breast cancer while pregnant or nursing.

The bottom line is that you should get this lump checked out through a clinical breast exam and additional testing if indicated.

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly

Aside the possibility that this lump could be a cyst or a fibroadenomas, this could also be a blocked milk duct which happens quite frequently when breast-feeding.There are milk ducts that go up near the armpit.
Try nursing first from the breast with the lump, apply warm compresses before nursing and massaging in the direction of your nipple and see if the lump goes away after a few days.If the lump persists,then it's better to have your doctor examine you to also make sure that you don't have an infection.
All the best...
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.