Breast Cancer Community

Lump in my breast

Hi, I am 31 years old haven't had a menstrual cycle for 7 month, the doctor put me on 10 days of a progesterone and still no cycle.  I also was having pain in my right breast that would go to my armpit and then run down my arm.  I just had a mammogram & an ultrasound, they found nothing, yet the 2 gynecologist that checked my breast found a very small lump to the side of my breast.  After the mammogram & ultrasound the doctor said they didn't see anything on either test, but yet she did a physical exam, felt the lump and when touching the lump it sent shooting pains in my breast up to my armpit and down my arm.  Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas or whatever to help me out here.  My Mom thinks I should go to my regular doctor and request another mammogram and that I should push the issue because it isn't normal to have such pains, there must be a reason.  Just looking for some insight.  Thanks  Julie
Not all palpable lumps will appear on an ultrasound or mammogram.  Each test has it's limitations and what it can pick up.
In my opinion,if there's a lump there, it needs to be evaluated..I would advise you to see a Breast Specialist/Surgeon,or a Radiologist because if the lump can be felt and it's a cyst, a needle biopsy FNA ( Fine Needle Aspiration) will make it collapse and no further treatment will be necessary.If the lump is a solid one, the needle can sample it so that the cells extracted can be examined by a pathologist .
You may discuss with your Doctor about this option and see what he/she recommends.
Please don't jump to any conclusion...the fact that this lump is palpable but does not show on radiology, does not make it cancerous or increase the chances of it being cancerous.Also keep in mind that a painful lump is rarely associated with breast cancer.
Best wishes...
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.