Two years ago, I noticed pain in my right breast, since I worked in a hospital, my dr immediately put me in for a breast u/s. From that, I endured 2 hours of mamm testing the same day. I was sent to Genetics due to 2 aunts having passed from breast cancer. I have been returning every 6 months for 18 months. Next week will be my most recent since June of last year. Everyone I have talked to about this suggest I should have a biopsy. In the right breast there is a cyst, with a nodule inside it with dense mass. Has anyone, ever heard of this before. I've tried to do my own research, but cannot find anything on the "frequency" or "outcome" of a cyst with a nodule inside it, it measures about 1.0 x 0.5 x 0.9 cm in diameter.
In the right breast at 4 o'clock, 2 cm from the nipple in the area of palpable concern indicated by the patient no discrete sonographic abnormality is seen. Pain of the right breast at 1130, 1.5 cm from the nipple an oval, well-circumscribed anechoic mass is present measuring 1.0 x 0.5 x 1.0 cm similar in size as compared to the prior study.
Within this cyst tiny nodule measuring 0.2 cm is noted, unchanged. The sonographic appearance of the right axilla is unremarkable.
Stable appearance of cyst with small nodule in the right breast at 1130, 1.5 cm from nipple. BI-RADS category 3. Short interval followup with right breast ultrasound is recommended to further confirm stability.
I am not sure,but I guess that the cyst in your breast could be a complicated cyst which contains a good percentage of solid elements within the fluid.
According to your ultrasound report,your radiologist assigned a BIRADS score 3, meaning that the cyst appears to be unchanged, probably benign and there are no suspicious lesions, masses, or calcifications to report, but follow-up is needed to confirm stability.It's rare to have cancer in a cyst,even when it's a complicated one.If cancer was suspected, the cyst walls would have shown on Ultrasound films, to be thick and irregular and surrounded by dense tissue .
The danger of waiting, statistically speaking, is extremely low,but if you are really worried ,because of your family history of breast cancer,the alternative to waiting for follow up is to have an FNA biopsy so the fluid aspirated can be examined by a pathologist..
You could also ask your doctor to consult with a breast Specialist/Surgeon for a second opinion.
Hi, thanks for replying. I did see a Breast Specialist, and I was given the option of having a biopsy. One of the f/u u/s did repor mass dense tissue. Guess I will find out soon enough. So, I suppose I will wait, get the results and decide from there. If it is still an option to biopsy, I will probably not do it.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.