Breast Cancer Community

breast lump

hello forum members,
I have a friend who is 48 year old, she complained of redness and pain in the left side of her left breast 3 days ago and when she touched her breast she found a lump, now after 3 days the redness has subsided and still there is a minimal pain on touching and the lump is still there, she is expecting to have her period these days
what it could be?? do u think it is  not a serious condition bcoz it is a painful lump??  
Usually painful lumps are not associated with breast cancer,but it's nevertheless a possibility.There are many causes for breasts lumps,most of them benign in nature...What your friend has,could be an infection,a fibroadenomas or a cyst.The redness could be a hematoma (blood collection) formation under the skin,usually caused by trauma or, as I mentioned before,an infection.
I suggest you tell your friend to have this lump examined by her doctor to be evaluated properly if it's still there after her period is over.
Imaging studies like a mammogram or ultrasound may be useful to make sure that this lump is not considered serious.
Best wishes to both of you...
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.