Aa
A
A
A
Close
Breast Cancer Community
9.42k Members

hypoechoic mass

I received this report after my ultrasound today.should i be worried?please what does this mean? "AN IRREGULAR-SHAPED, HYPOECHOIC MASS MEASURING 14X8MM IS SEEN IN THE UPPER-OUTER QUADRANT OF THE LEFT BREAST,WITHIN THE MAMMARY ZONE. THE MASS HAS FINGER LIKE PROJECTIONS EXTENDING INTO THE BREAST PARENCHYMA, AND SHOWS POSTERIOR ACOUSTIC SHADOWING. THE ABOVE FEATURES RAISE THE POSSIBILITY OF A MITOTIC LESION HENCE A BIOPSY FOR HISTOLOGY IS ADVISED FOR FURTHER EVALUATION.

THE RIGHT BREAST IS NORMAL SONOLOGICALLY.

BOTH AXILLAE ARE FREE OF LYMPHADENOPATHY.

CONCLUSION: SUSPICIOUS LEFT BREAST MASS[BIRADS CATEGORY 4A], BIOPSY FOR HISTOLOGY IS ADVISED FOR FURTHER EVALUATION."
1 Responses
587083 tn?1327123862
Hi,
Your Ultrasound report states that you have a lump in your left breast,that looks suspicious.
A BI-RADS category 4 was added on your report,meaning that the lump has to be biopsied to determine it's nature.
Nothing was found in your right breast and it looks normal.
Also your lymph nodes in your armpits,are normal and show no sign of disease.
Keep in mind that many biopsies done on suspicious lumps return a benign (no cancer) finding.
When radiologists categorize the BI-RADS score "4A" it also means that the lump is less suspicious than  "4B" or "4C".
You should call your doctor to have the Ultrasound report explained to you in detail.The more you understand what's going on,the better you'll face everything
Keep optimistic and don't worry too much before you have to.Things might turn up to be just fine.
Wishing you all the best...
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.