Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.02k Members

15yr Fur Baby with Metastasized Thyroid Cancer

I have been reading a lot of the post about cats and Chemo and side effect and time buying....still would like to ask...
My fur baby Punkin has been diagnosed with Metastasized Thyroid Cancer and i was told that the medicine for hormone control with comfort,  but having the chemo would be mostly for buying time....She finds being handled by others very stressful. She is half Siamese and  Manx with Severer deformity of tail...and has overly sensitive hip and tail area....I am torn.....  should i take her to have at least on round of treatments to see how she responds as my head says, or should i let her lay around the bedroom and enjoy the last couple of weeks/months?? doing what she loves ?
Any words of advice or experience would help... thank you all
1 Responses
7052683 tn?1392938795
Oh My Manx!!!!! So sorry to hear about your Punkin. Fifteen years is a long time for Punkin to have been loved and cared for by you. She is one lucky little lady.

Anyway--my opinion only---Allow Punkin to live out her days being close to you and doing all the things she loves to do, even if it is just laying around on your lap.
We as caregivers must make the assessment as to what is best for our babies, and it is not always easy. I find that if a treatment (that may only prolong her life) is so stressful for them, then what kind of PROLONGED life are they going through all this stress for---Quality of life is most important...don't you think?

So in my humble opinion I would want to keep her pain free, home with me , being loved and spoiled until she is ready to leave her sick body and become your spirit companion and guardian. You have given Punkin a wonderful life and for that she will always walk beside you. Even in death
the spirit finds a way!!!

To you and your precious Punkin, enjoy the wonderful times together that are ahead of you, for how long as that might be.

God Bless you both and my prayers are with you during this very difficult time.

Sincerely,
A Punkin Lover
CML
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424116797
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439842983
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402543492
CA
740516 tn?1360942486
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child