Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.03k Members

Fluids and cat with cancer

Hi. I have a question about the type of subcutaneous fluids to use in a cat with cancer. I think I posted my question in the wrong forum before - I hope it's ok to post my question here. My 16 year old cat was recently diagnosed with Transitional Cell Carcinoma of the bladder. The tumor was successfully removed through surgery, and she now receives Mitoxantrone every 3 weeks (total of 5 doses). A year and a half ago, she was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease, and has been receiving 50ml subcutaneous fluids at home every second day (0.45% Sodium Chloride and 2.5% Dextrose/Glucose) since diagnosis. My concern is that the glucose in the fluids will fuel the cancer cells. So I was thinking of switching to Lactated Ringers/Hartmann's solution. However, I read that the lactate in Hartmann's can also feed cancer cells (at least with Lymphoma). What is the most appropriate type of fluid to give a cat with bladder cancer? We also have to keep sodium levels down, due to CKD, and also her mild Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I'd be keen to discuss any of your suggestions with my vet. Thanks very much for any help you can provide. Regards, Lis.
1 Responses
587315 tn?1333552783
Hi, your question is purrfect for this forum!!  

I can see how difficult the decision must be to decide between the two fluids. If this were my cat, I would get a couple of opinions from a few different vets or ask the vet to do so.  I know you want a delicate balance here-treating the kidney disease, not aggravating the heart problem, and not feeding the cancer cells.  I would be confused, too.

Have you looked at the ingredient list from both solutions to compare side by side?  I'm guessing that any solution that is chosen will have at least some sodium and glucose in it.  I don't think you'll be able to escape that.  The fluids are sooooo important for kidney disease to flush out the toxins and make them happy, healthier kitties(we're going through this now with one of our cats-he gets fluids twice a wk).  

I hope you decide to call your vet and have them consult other vets for the very best decision for your kitty.

Please, come back with an update.

ZQ
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424116797
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439842983
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402543492
CA
740516 tn?1360942486
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.