Cats Community

Fluids and cat with cancer

Hi. I have a question about the type of subcutaneous fluids to use in a cat with cancer. I think I posted my question in the wrong forum before - I hope it's ok to post my question here. My 16 year old cat was recently diagnosed with Transitional Cell Carcinoma of the bladder. The tumor was successfully removed through surgery, and she now receives Mitoxantrone every 3 weeks (total of 5 doses). A year and a half ago, she was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease, and has been receiving 50ml subcutaneous fluids at home every second day (0.45% Sodium Chloride and 2.5% Dextrose/Glucose) since diagnosis. My concern is that the glucose in the fluids will fuel the cancer cells. So I was thinking of switching to Lactated Ringers/Hartmann's solution. However, I read that the lactate in Hartmann's can also feed cancer cells (at least with Lymphoma). What is the most appropriate type of fluid to give a cat with bladder cancer? We also have to keep sodium levels down, due to CKD, and also her mild Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I'd be keen to discuss any of your suggestions with my vet. Thanks very much for any help you can provide. Regards, Lis.
Hi, your question is purrfect for this forum!!  

I can see how difficult the decision must be to decide between the two fluids. If this were my cat, I would get a couple of opinions from a few different vets or ask the vet to do so.  I know you want a delicate balance here-treating the kidney disease, not aggravating the heart problem, and not feeding the cancer cells.  I would be confused, too.

Have you looked at the ingredient list from both solutions to compare side by side?  I'm guessing that any solution that is chosen will have at least some sodium and glucose in it.  I don't think you'll be able to escape that.  The fluids are sooooo important for kidney disease to flush out the toxins and make them happy, healthier kitties(we're going through this now with one of our cats-he gets fluids twice a wk).  

I hope you decide to call your vet and have them consult other vets for the very best decision for your kitty.

Please, come back with an update.

ZQ