Celiac issues?

Three years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac only to be told a month later that it wasn't, that the biopsy result could have just been a virus. Then 2 months ago I was re-assessed by a differant GI and told I do in fact have celiac. I am a 45 year old Male.

Hopefully some long term Celiacs can help me. My question is this.......

For about a year now I have had very narrow, ribbon shaped stools. Some days they are as thin as an eigth of an inch, but usually they are a quarter inch or wider......however very distinctivly flat and wide.....ribbony. I have been told that this is more likely a Colon obstruction (cancer) and as I am new to the Celiac diagnosis I am curious as to whether anyone has had this symptom from Celiac. I have looked everywhere on line and evry time it goes back to colon cancer, never Celiac. My GI claims it is the Celiac but will do a colonoscopy in 6 months if it does not change with a gluten free diet (which it has not so far). As a side note I also just went through a week long bout of Diarrhea which I have NEVER had the likes of before.....even when eating Gluten?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have had good success with Naturopathic Drs.There are many things that could be causing this, including colon cancer. I have found a wealth of information about gluten sensitivity on the enterolab.com site. If it is a fecal bowel obstruction a good colonic practitioner can do wonders for you.
Helpful - 0
Keep working with your Dr and monitor the situation. Celiac disease can make you most susceptible to chron's and colon cancer.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Celiac Disease Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem