Celiac Disease Community
879 Members

shopping guide

i found a book online...called something like, "cecilia's shopping guide".   it is supposed to list most all of the major grocery stores and list the products they carry that are gluten free.  you can look up something...and it will tell you the brand to buy.  was wondering if anyone has bought this book and does it live up to it's claim?

i have still not yet had my blood work done...but after reading some...dont know whether to waste my time doing so or not.  i am one of the few who went to a specialist who immediately thought i had celiac sprue.  right now...as i am typing...my mouth is sooooooooo broken out in ulcers that i can hardly move it...much less eat.  i have not found anything that takes the pain away that does not burn like hell.

looking at my family...especially the women...it seems we all have basically the same problem...with me being the worst.  my mother, her sister and her two daughters all have the chronic diarrhea...IBS...one has crohn's...a couple of us with fibromyalgia.  pretty much everything we all eat goes straight through us...always running to the bathroom.  we all are lactose intolerant too.  i also have one son who has chronic diarrhea and two sons who are lactose intolerant.

i need help...and i need it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  reading about the gluten free diet on the internet is toooooo overwhelming, as it simply lists foods to avoid...this grain...that nut...omg...how the hell do you figure all that out.  who knows if something listed contains any of those hundreds of things.  and how do you go to the grocery store?  it would take me days to stand there and read everything to see if it was gluten free...seems like everything i pick up has gluten or something "off limits" in it.  no dairy...no gluten...what do i eat...meat and fruit????

*****IF ANYONE READING THIS HAS THE MOUTH ULCERS...PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU KNOW OF ANYTHING TO HELP WITH THIS AND THE PAIN THAT COMES WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I CANNOT TAKE THIS.  THERE HAS NOT BEEN A SINGLE DAY IN OVER TWO YEARS THAT I HAVE NOT HAD AT LEAST TWO OR THREE ULCERS IN MY MOUTH.  SOMETIMES THEY GET SOOOO BAD...THAT MY LIPS ARE RIMMED WITH ULCERS...AS IN "RIGHT NOW".

also...any help with shopping for food (books, etc) would be greatly appreciated.
Any cookbook by Bette Hagman is good. Look for gluten free recipes via Google. There is a wealth of info out there. Take baby steps.
I really can relate to you.  I was in the midst of terrible thyroid problems when they diagnosed me with Celiac disease and many other food allergies.  I was so overwhelmed that all I could do is cry.  A friend recommended a magazine called Living Without.   www.****.com    You can order the magazine on line.  It costs about $23 and there are 6 issues a year.  It is very informative, colorful and easy to read.  Many receipes and testimonies.  I don't know what to do about the ulcers except what I used to get from the pharmacy.  You probably have tried that.  You must be eating something that is causing this reaction.  I would suggest only fruits, vegetables and meat at first as you learn about the different flours, products etc.  I go to a health food store or Whole fields or Trader Joes if you have any of them in your area.  They have a lot of products that are gluten free.  I know it takes time and I am still trying to find out what to eat and I posted on this forum I am trying foods that I havent been able to eat and have been tolerating them ok.   Hope this helps a little.    lol  linda
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem