Chiari Malformation Community

will they cut off my hair for neck surgery

so I have to get a nodule removed in my neck and im expecting to get surgery. my hair is about a little longer than shoulder length, semi thick, will they need to cut it off for the surgery or can I were a hair net or something like a hair cap.
If its on your neck then i dont see why your hair will be cut. They will shave your neck tho
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I would imagine how close it is to the hairline that may determine that, but if it is on the neck it may not need to be touched as the above poster indicated.

Your Surgeon is the one that will decide what will or not be done in regards to your hair and how it will be moved out of his way for surgery.....

I have noticed each Dr doing surgery for Chiari approaches it differently too....so talk with your Dr to see how he wants to deal with it.

Good luck.And if you would like a prayer thread posted , please post your surgery date in the surgery date thread.....
I am currently stressing over what you ask about above in your post. Is this the first surgery you've had on your head/neck? It sounds like you have had past experience. I am finally back to my original hair volume and my surgery was at the end of July. I heard about hats and scarves but summer in the south makes you want to dress as simply as possible. One thing that I didn't think about, and should have, is that those people close to me really didn't care about my hair. I let it grow and my surgeon left the top layer so that it hung down to cover the incision. My issue was that it looked very thin for the past months. Recently, I have (or should I say my husband has) kept the length shorter. My thinking is that it will be less noticeable. But I do want to grow it back. Talk directly to your surgeon to let him/her know that you are concerned about your hair. I hope you can get answers so that you feel better.