Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
233 Members

How safe is it to drink with 2 DVT's in my leg ?

I am a 32 year old male and have a DVT in my calf and thigh. I have have been on clexane injections for almost 2 months. I am also an alcoholic and would regulary binge drink for 1-2 weeks at a time. My doctor has advised against drinking cause it would nomrally lead to taking drugs as well and possibly injecting drugs (Methadrone, which was possibly the cause of the clots). I had drank for 2 weeks about month ago and experienced severe bruising all over my body. I know there is risk if I fall and get severely cut that may bleed out or if my head acidently hits something a possible bleed in the brain. Been sober near 4 weeks and not quite sure I can go on much longer wihtout a drink. Are there things I can do to not effect the clot and prevent bad withdrawls too cause I would regulary consume 70+ units of alcohol per day while on these binges.
I understand your concern regarding this and I would like to commend you for being sober the last 4 weeks.  According to some studies, some alcohol may indeed be protective for risks of DVT. However, too much alcohol like during binge drinking, may have harmful effects. Medications prescribed such as blood thinners are broken down by the liver, the same organ that processes alcohol. If the liver is busy working on breaking down the alcohol, blood thinner medication level in the blood rises, and it increases your bleeding risk. I know it is easier said than done but you need to decide to avoid binge drinking or if possible, alcohol intake.  Aside from joining support groups, alternative therapies like acupuncture may also help. It is best that you discuss this also with your attending physician for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.