Dental Health Community
7.43k Members
Avatar universal

Abscess help!

I'v just noticed a big abscess above my tooth, i already know i need root canal treatment for the tooth but my dentist can't take me for another week. Is it safe to wait that long without anti-biotics or treatment?
5 Responses
Avatar universal
seeing an endodontist is advised.
Avatar universal
Call your dentist and tell him about this because he cannot do anything with an infection going on, and will prescribe antibiotics for you. You will then be okay by the time you see him.  Also, ask if he is going to be doing the root canal, if he is you don't need to see an Endodontist and it will save you a lot of money.  If he doesn't do root canals, find a dentist who does.
Avatar universal
Do not allow a general dentist to perform your root canal therapy.  General dentists have minimal training in root canal procedures.  Endodontists go for an additional 24 months after dentatl school.  There is a reason for this.  Root Canal therapy done by an endodontist who performs microscopic endodontics is very successful.  Unforturnately dentists performing root canal procedures without the training, tools, and experience of endodontists have a much higher failure rate.  You should plan to pay a little more and have root canal done correctly by an endodontist the first time than looking for a bargain and having to pay the price in the future ------- pain, endodontic retreatment, and possibly tooth loss.
Avatar universal
I'm almost 60, have had 7 root canals, all done by a dentist many years ago and have had no problems.  A dentist will not do a root canal unless he is trained to do so as they also know the risks.  So, if you can find a dentist that does root canals, save yourself some big bucks and stay with the dentist.
Avatar universal
You seem to trust your dentist that did your root canal.  I felt I was conned by dentist into doing my root canal, cause I had no pain before he poked on my tooth and I felt pain (don't know how he poke, or maybe he was digging into my gum line or something), but he concluded that I needed root canal.  Now, I am experiencing blooding at the root canaled tooth.
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
Avatar universal
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.