Dental Health Community

Gauze removal after wisdom teeth extraction.

Hello!  I had my wisdom teeth, on my left side, removed a few hours ago.  I vaguely remember the dental assistant saying that I should change the gauze every 20 minutes, which is what I did twice. However, upon arriving at home and reading the information sheet I was given, it says to not touch it for 2 hours to help promote blood clot formation and healing. I am a little stressed that I might have caused some damage. Should I be worried?  Is there anything I can do make it better?  
Eating anything soft should be ok.  Just avoid drinking out of a straw or drinking anything carbonated for about 36 hours.  The suction from the straw and the carbonation can cause you to lose the blood clot.  This is called a dry socket. (exposed bone)  I had a dry socket when my wisdom teeth were removed.  Very painful.  

Best of luck :-)
I've never heard of the instruction to not change the gauze for 2 hours.  You should change it every 20 to 30 minutes.  Wetting the gauze slightly will keep it from sticking to the clot or your tissue.  Keep constant pressure on the extraction site.  Continue to change the gauze until you are no longer bleeding.  If it seems like you're bleeding longer than usual, bite on a plain wet teabag.  The tannins in tea leaves promote clotting.
Thank you so much!!  It's good to hear that! And I promise, it says do not remove for 2 hours (in all caps) on the information sheet.

Do you think it's okay to eat the powdery mashed potatoes? Or should I stick to just broth today?
I want to thank you sincerely for such a speedy response! I really really appreciate it!

I am truly sorry that you had a dry socket-- I have been reading all about it for the past few hours and sounds dreadful!

Thank you again soo much! :)