Tooth Extraction / Dry Socket?

I had a tooth extraction on Monday morning and it was a painless process. It bled for about two hours, then stopped. I assume a clot formed. I have been on a light diet of mashed potatoes, pudding, and apple sauce since. I have not used a straw nor have I spit. I have had some excess saliva, so I have had to swallow often. It does feel a lot like sucking through a straw, I suppose. I do not smoke, etc. Nonetheless, I have been in constant fear (because I have had to swallow so much) that I will have a dry socket. I know these are rare in normal extractions that do not involve wisdom teeth and even more rare when the tooth is on the top (which mine was). But, that did not stop my concern. Now, as I looked at the extraction site tonight, I do not see a dark red blood clot. I see a yellow spot.

The spot is relatively small, as my tooth had been broken for months before it was pulled. It looks a lot like a dry socket, but if it is, the pain has not started yet (although, I have read it will not start until 3-4 days after the extraction). I read on at least one dentists' website that: "The mouth will develop a yellow scab over a healing extraction site. This should not be confused with an infection." But, it seems too early for this? Do I need to see my dentist? It is Tuesday evening (36 hours post-extraction). I have added the picture to my profile. Thanks.
Hope You are fine after the extraction. I encourage you to drink alot of water.

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community