Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.6k Members

Can risperidone cause a person to have seizures if they have a history of it?

My best friend had a childhood history of epilepsy and her doctor has prescribed her 1mg of Risperidone taken twice a day, 125mg. Divalproex taken twice a day, and 100mg of Seroquel. She hasn't had a seizure since 1994 which is over twenty years.  During her childhood she was on medications such a Risperdal, Prozac, Zoloft, and Tegretol for her seizures. But now that she hasn't had an epilepsy episode in over twenty years her doctor isn't considering her history of seizures and claims that she won't have a seizure from any of the medications listed above.
I'm worried about leaving her alone on the risperidone and I'm also wondering how long would it take for me to know if there is any side effects from the medications listed.? I've heard of people having seizures within a week of taking the risperidone and she seems like a perfect candidate for it. Although she may have out grown the seizures I'm still concerned that they may start up again. I don't want to advise her against taking the medication because she is a manic depressive person but she also makes bad decisions concerning her health.
Should I be concerned that she may have a seizure and have someone watch over her while taking the medication?
1 Responses
Risperdone does cause seizures, its a side effect. I have them, they way my psychiatrist explained this to me, is that I twitch the right portion of my body because that is my dominant side ( leg and arm). But I only experience twitches, which are seizures in itself.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.