Depression Community

Effexor XR

I have been on effexor xr for more tha 2 years.  Before that I had been on prozac for about 8 years.  I have PMS (hormonal) issues that is why they started me on prozac.  Anyway, I went from 150 mg 2 months ago to 75 mg because I felt the 150mg was making me have insomnia, I noticed if forgot to take the effor I would sleep better.  It has taken me a while to figure this out because I usally take my meds everyday.  My question is can you develope side effects after being on effexor xr this long.  I am in the proccess of going down to 37.5 mg so I can take myself off this medication.
Effexor actually inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and Norepinephrine. The norepinephrine I think gives it the stimulatory effect. Nortryptaline is actually the name for the second generation tricyclic ADs. But they inhibit the reuptake of norepinephrine primarily, and serotonin to a lesser extent.