Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

Med withdrawal

I am a 42 year old woman with major depression and Biplar II. I also have a history of alcoholism and pill addiction. I am in my 5th year of being clean and sober. I recently tapered off both Zyprexa (anti-psychotic) and Lexapro (AD) due to side-effects (weight-gain, sexual dysfunction, and apathy). My pdoc supported my decision. I currently take Lamictal 150 mgs (mood stabilizer) and thyroid medication for hypothyroidism. I have been off the Zyprexa for about 2 weeks and the Lex for about 1 week. I was suicidal and depressed during w/d from the Z and now with the Lex w/d I am suicidal, nauseated and dizzy, and my moods range from irritable to sad and withdrawn. I am also emotional for the first time in a couple of years. I was briefly hospitalized last year after coming off Paxil cold turkey. I am feeling very frightened, sick, and hopeless. Has anyone else gone through med w/d, and can you tell me how long it lasted? I am determined not to go back on the AD or the anti-psychotic - if the suicidal thoughts worsen, I know to get myself to the ER for help. I have support from friends in a 12-step program, but few of them have experience in this area. Any support or direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
1 Responses
I forgot to mention I am also taking Topamax 150 mgs mostly to help with appetite/weight loss I can probably get rid of this med pretty soon too as I was taking it in conjunction with the Z to help suppress my appetite. I am also taking Provigil 200 mgs as a stimulant to offset the Z - again, a med I can probably ditch. But, one thing at a time.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.