A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.6k Members
691724 tn?1230686244

What books have been written?

I am looking for a book on the subject of mothers who's child has been molested. One that covers the different stages of grief. I am one of those mothers and I have been in survival mode for 8 years. Now that I feel I can handle facing the horror of the reality and working through it, I have no medical insurance and definately don't have hundreds of dollars a month for therapy. Any style of writing would be acceptable; clinical, fiction, non-fiction or memoire, even perhaps articles that would be helpful.
1 Responses
Hello, Realtomatoe!

I'm so sorry to read your story and what your daughter has endured.  As a father, I can't imagine your rage, guilt and depression.  You've made a great step by coming to this forum!  I've never dealt with this issue, but there is a website that lists hundreds of books and articles on how to deal with child molestation.  The site is:  http://www.childmolestationprevention.org/pages/resources.html

In my humble opinion, you cannot read a book and be able to deal with this terrible issue or even help your daughter.  I think you both really need counseling.  There are resources for low income people needing mental health help.  Most cities and counties have a mental health agency that will only charge you based on your ability to pay.  You can find the agency listed under the city or county gov't section of the phone book.  Also, the suicide hotline can refer you to someone who accepts low income clients.  

And, most states have an insurance for low income people called Medicaid.  You can also find them in the state or county gov't section.  Call them to find out how to apply.  Some therapists/psychiatrists will accept low income people.  Try looking at the online website for Psychology Today.  It lists doctors and therapists in your area and may tell you who will treat you.  Another resource is the state Health and Human Sercvices department.  They are very helpful.  

Please consider getting help for both you and your daughter.  You have both experienced a terrible tragedy that reading a book cannot correct.  It may take a little digging, but I'm sure you can find someone to help.  The longer you wait, the harder it will be for your daughter.

Best of luck and let me know how everything goes.  Please message me if you have any questions.

Curt
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.