Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

depression/anxiety

My father-in-law suffered anxiety w/depression after my brother-in-law committed suicide.  After many months, med's started working & things seemed better.  8 months after the death, his wife had an unexpected heart attack & died.  Still on his med's from prior tragedy, he was seemingly doing well.  Unknown to us, med's ended Oct 2007 & by Dec 2007 anxiety was back.  This time symptoms have seemed to progress faster than last time.  He has physical symptoms that we have been ruling out with the doctor for physical causes (his lack of belief that anxiety/depression is the cause).  He has been on med's again for 5 weeks, but they are not doing their job.  The psychiatrist has boosted & changed his med's to help speed up treatment, but so far not good.  Bipolar disorder runs in his family & so does alzheimers disease.  Could anxiety/depression cause these disorders to rear their ugly heads?  Is there a test to determine what is neurological, psychological and/or physical?  We just don't know what to think.
1 Responses
Hi Sheri, The answer to your question about if stress etc. could speed up the progression of Alzheimers, yes it can. Even having surgery or any major change, sickness etc. can effect the disease. Is he on any medication for the Alzheimers? If not Aircept is very effective. I f he is on Aircept make sure that he does not miss a dose, doing so can take up to 3 weeks to get back to where he was at. It may appear that he is declining fast, (if he misses a dose), as I said he will get back to the same stage he was at, but will take the 3 weeks to notice any change for the better. Also make SURE he drinks plenty of water!  If he isn't this will make a big difference in him mentally. Let me know if I can help you any further.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.