"Golfer's Vasculitis" is more than just annoying

I'd like to know anyone who's had this hideous and annoying condition anywhere on their bodies other than ankles and lower legs - have you had it start on your ankles and then over the years progress to other parts of your body? Any remedy to reduce redness besides not exercising or walking outside?

I moved from the dry climate of the Southwest and Southern Cal to hot and humid New England four years ago - nevr, ever had this until the first summer I arrived and then BAM! A weird, nasty rash that scares even me - I'm extremely active (walk every where and run 6+ daily) so suffice it to say being covered with this is not good for the image!

Seriously though I'd like to know if there's a way to treat and how to keep it from spreading.
I to suffer from golfer's vasculitis.  I am 58 and half Scottish/English.  I had my first outbreak on a Baltic Cruise about 10 years ago.  I took pictures in to my doctor after we returned home to Indiana.  He did not have a clue what it was.  Typically my outbreaks are after walking/standing for long periods and always in high heat/humidity (i.e cruises, vacations, amusement parks).  I have only had about 6-7 major outbreaks and the remaining outbreaks are minor and always between sock line and knees.  I am glad to found this forum.
Dear Austin7875978759

It has been 3 years and I would very much like to know if you are still taking the Zyflamend and whether the vasculitis returned at all despite taking the Zyflamend. I am also interested to know what dosage you take.

Mine started when I was around 48 years old and has gotten progressively worse in the last 11 years to the point that it is rare to not have a rash after golfing or hiking.

And for all of you hot climate people note this happens in cold weather too. The first time I noticed it was after snowshoeing an 11 km trail (7 miles?)  in deep snow. The temperature was around or below the freezing point for water (zero Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit). I was wearing heavy knee socks, vortex boots and gaiters to my knees so it is probable that my legs got too hot.

The next time it happened was while,golfing and I was golfing a lot so and only got it while golfing. So I thought, like some on this forum, that it was an allergic reaction to something they put on the grass.

The first time I left it but it did not go away and after a few days it started to itch and I had to apply Calamine lotion to get rid of it. Eventually I started applying Calamine lotion immediately after getting home. But it takes longer and longer to go away despite the calamine and often leaves dark stains that last for months or years.

I am an overweight white female with pale complexion and scots / Danish / german ancestry.

So glad to find this forum.  I've got my initial "cayenne pepper" rash at age 38 when I spent a day roaming Washington DC.  Back then it would take many miles before the rash occurred and it would disappear in a day or two once I got off my feet.  As I get older it takes fewer and fewer miles to instigate the rash and it takes longer to clear up.  My lower calfs are permanently discolored (but they are  muscular and shapely lol).  Maybe someday they'll be a laser treatment that'll remove the discoloration
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24196329

I'll look into the Zyflamend because bad breakouts get uncomfortable and hold me back. I don't play golf but I am something of a hiker.  Hiker's call it Hiker's rash.
I do not believe this is due to anything spread on the ground. I got it first time in Paris where I was walking solely on pavement. I got it on a grand tour of Italy. I got it on 2 tours of New Orleans. I got it on a tour in Key West. And I got it especially bad hiking at Yosemite.

I did NOT get it on our trip to Bar Harbor Maine, because the weather was cooler there.

I have an autoimmune disease known as limited systemic scleroderma. This condition is known to be able to obliterate the eccrine sweat glands, resulting in overheating with exercise.
My wife, Zenith, has endured so-called Golfers' Vasculitis for many years now. At first we assumed that the rash was caused by fertiliser on the golf course. Visits to numerous internet sites suggest that there is no permanent cure. Then we discovered the miracle properties of lowly domestic Bicarbonate of Soda! It is claimed that most of life's ailments stem from an imbalance of Acid and Alkaline levels in the body. Ordinary bicarb quickly restores any acid/alkaline imbalance by boosting the alkaline count. On a scale of 1-14, it seems the ideal count should be about 7,5. Anything below 7 indicates too much acidity. I started taking bicarb for the odd bout of indigestion ... with instant relief ... before I read about the general acid issue. Zenith started taking bicarb just one month ago (1/2 teaspoon in warm water twice per day) and was astonished to notice that the golfers' rash has all but disappeared! Her friend, Anne, has had a similar "cure" after only two weeks on bicarb. It is still early days and one hesitates to claim bicarbonate of soda as the miracle cure for this (and other?) rashes and ailments, but it would certainly seem to be heading in the right direction. From what I have read on the internet, bicarb is not harmful when used responsibly, so most sufferers of golfers' vasculitis should be quite safe to try it. By the way, we initially bought a pack of litmus strips from our pharmacy to test our acidity levels. Zenith's initial test indicated a very high level of acidity (red), while mine showed alkalinity (blue). I have never suffered from rash on the golf course or anywhere else. This suggests that there may well be a correlation between high acidic levels and golfers' vasculitis. If this is true, then a regular dose of bicarbonate of soda is precisely "what the Doctor ordered!" Good luck and greetings from South Africa.
I am 56 and got this rash for the first time last month after jumping on a mini trampoline for about 5 minutes. I am nearly always dehydrated. I sit a lot at my job and rarely exercise, so I suppose the sudden jumping was sort of a shock to my system. I am of Scottish descent and not overweight. My question is whether or not many of you suffer with leg cramps during the night. I'm wondering if this might be a related condition.
I am also thrilled to find this!! I first started getting this around 8 years ago. I thought it was related to an allergy since it seemed to occur when I was cutting grass. I usually wear shorts while mowing and live in New Orleans, which is extremely hot and humid. I switched to long pants and still got the "rash". Got a severe case after walking around Dollywood about 4 years ago. I was wearing no show socks or no socks for most of the occurrences. I've begun to get it even when the weather is cool. I just got it again Saturday after standing for a long period of time. Temperature was in the high 60's and I never got hot or sweaty. Perhaps it is related to heat at the onset but, once you get it, the temperature becomes less a factor? I'm glad to know it isn't dangerous. I've been nervous about it. Thanks for posting your stories, everyone.
I'm 33 and live in New England. I've experienced this rash twice in the last 6 months and both times I was walking around Disney World in Florida. I have walked around amusement parks in the heat at home and never encountered this. I too am of European decent (Swedish, French and German) and very fair skinned. I also am a life long allergy and asthma sufferer. I'm 5 feet, 115 pounds and have never had any circulation issues in the past. When I first encountered the rash I assumed it was a sun allergy (flip flops and shorts in Florida sun), but today was rainy in Orlanfo and low and behold the rash appeared again. The one I get isn't painful, but it is rather unsightly and covers the back of both of my calves. I'd love to find out what's causing it so I don't have to be embarrassed to show the backs of my legs.
I get this also.  I have found out that if I wear flip flops even in warm weather I do not break out.  I believe the cause is restricting the blood flow even in the warm weather. Even loose fitting socks can restrict blood flow.
This does not happen to me in the winter/cold weather.  Needless to say flip flops or looser fitting sandals work great for me so why not give it a try. Hope this works for you and lots of others that read this.  Good Luck to all....  
I have also suffered the same horribly ugly rash for probably 20 years. I don't get it too, too often but sometimes when I do, it can last for a very long time. I am responding to newcanuck as my rash does look exactly like the pics you posted.

Strangely enough, I am always on my feet for very long days (personal trainer). I am fit, exercise a lot, eat very well, and am naturally slender. It always seems to happen to me after long bouts of walking. I can work out hard on cardio equipment and really sweat and not ever get it - but then walk without exerting myself at all or sweating (even very cold weather) but for very long periods and I will get it. When it first started, it was always with warmer weather and at the time I also thought it had to do with sun exposure. Now I see that my legs can be completely covered and it still happens.

Just back from 8 hours of walking all over France. Was in warmer (sometimes hot) weather in southern France, walking many hours and had no problems. Then, once in Paris, still no problems until one day I knew I was overdoing it with not giving myself a break. I could feel my legs feeling very tired. When I got back to the apartment, my ankles were very swollen and backs of both calves were very red/purple/blotchy.

I was probably not drinking as much fluid as I would ordinarily. It was a cool day and I had long jeans on - but thinking that I had slept with (very loose) sock on the night before because I was cold. I probably started the next morning overheated from eventually sweating in bed. Then the combo of nonstop walking and less fluid. Who knows. Will look into Zyflamend and try cool compresses. Doctors have always tried treating it as skin condition with no results. My mother would also get this. Thanks to all!
jbtc
That is what my legs look like but mine are worst.  I find wearing flip flops or sandals that are not constricting the blood in any way helps.  My legs are fine as long as the blood flow is not restricted in any way.  I live in flip flops even in the slightest warm weather.  Wearing any kind of sock will restrict the flow of blood.  Just try it !!!!  They have cute flip flops out for men and women.  Hope this helps.
I have this also.  This is what I have found works for me.  Even on just the slightest warm days {60} I wear flip flops and my legs do not get the rash.  I believe it is caused from the constriction of blood flow-even the slightest pressure around the ankle such as socks. Even if I wear jeans and flip flops I do not get the rash.  Sandals are ok as long as they do not restrict blood flow.  Try it, it may work for you.
You get leg cramps from dehydration !!!!  Try dill pickle juice for leg cramps.  I have the RASH but I have found that in warm weather I wear flip flops to take the pressure off blood flow.  I believe the rash is caused from a restriction of blood flow so try the flip flops or sandals that do not fit tight.
Here is what I do for my rash.  I wear flip flops when it gets to be about 60. No more rash.  I believe the rash has something to do with the restriction of blood flow.  With flip flops or sandals that do not restrict  blood flow I have no problem with the rash even in 100 degree weather !!! Hope this helps some of you with this problem.
Went for a walk yesterday for 8 miles in quite high temperatures and when I got home I noticed I have a red rash above sock line and under the knee. Quite unslightly and seems to be very hot but after reading the comments realise it is quite common.
As you (all) may realize, I've been posting/looking on here fore a few years now. I have tried a whole variety of things with no success.
Considering medical remedies, websites, my skin doctor... nothing worked.
I spent 6 months recording everything I ate, to see if some food was causing it.. Nope.
But over the past year I have been able to figure out what I can do to stave off this "affliction".
This seems to work for me.... you may not achieve my results.
HYDRATION !!!!!!
Stay hydrated... even OVER-hydration... so you have to urinate more frequently... so what... if it can cause this condition to NOT occur.... great !!!!!!
Especially during warm/hot weather... I am on my feet for long periods of time... maybe 4-7 hours... walking, standing, etc. So I ensure I drink a liter of water every hour or 2. Bingo..... in my case... solved. I have not had an occurrence for 8-10 months now.

Am I ever glad I finally figured this out (for me).

Good Luck.
I have had this on and off for several years now, worst case was last year after a long weekend in New York. So bad I had to be taken off the plane in a wheelchair! Have been walking in UK this week and its flared up again, has never made any difference whether I've worn flip flops or boots. Didn't get it in Peru ten years ago in heat and very long walks so think it's getting worse with age. Aloe vera gel has soothed it tremendously.
Hey all.
Just found this site and thought I would chime in.
The residual pigmentation that people are referring to is called Hemosiderin Staining.  This is basically a situation that results from red blood cells that have leaked out of inflamed capillaries into the spaces between skin cells.  The red blood cells get reabsorbed by the body but the iron molecule inside the RBC is left behind.  When this happens enough, the iron causes an increased pigmentation look, sometimes fading to a light brown but it will never completely clear.
More later.
I have this condition for many years. No doctor has ever told me what it was. It only occurs when it is very hot and I'm walking for a while, especially golfing. I live in central Florida and the Summer heat is a real problem for me. I have found a solution to the rash problem. My wife suggested buying a pair of soccer socks and pull them to the top of the knee just like a soccer player. She thought the extra compression on my legs would possibly work. It did, it was amazing. I just got home from playing 18 holes in 90 degree heat for over 4 hours and NO RASH. I wore long pants instead of shorts so I wouldn't embarrass myself. I can't believe this was so simple. Hope this will work for you. Pass it on. Mark in Ocala, Fl
In late August/early September in 2014, I had the scary red rash thing happen on both legs on my calves. That was my first occurrence. The weather was warm and humid. Doctor didn't know what it was: tested for thyroid condition, which was negative.

This year, planning to go to the same events where it happened, I decided to try wearing compression socks. The first event has happened - the huge Farm Progress Show in Decatur, IL. The temperature was a real feel of 105 - brutally hot and muggy. Of course, walking and standing all day was the norm. THERE WAS NO REDNESS!

This weekend I'll be going to the Notre Dame Football game, walking and standing for hours. It is not to be as warm as last year, but the compression socks are being worn. Go Irish!

Statistics: 55 year old female; healthy weight; physically fit; MS

I hope this helps.