Avatar universal

Keratosis question

Hi, I've had little bumps on my upper arms skin for years, mostly skin-colored but they get red sometimes. It's the only place I get them, they don't itch but they can look ugly when they're particularly bad.
One of the only ways I've found to get rid of them is to "pop" them with tweezers (yes, gross, sorry), and inside there's always a hard solid shiny white thing (about the size of the head of a large pin). It's not like what comes out of a black or white head pimple. But after that's gone, it's red for a day then disappears. Been looking up skin conditions online and most signs point to Keratosis, but none of the descriptions mention the bumps having anything in them, or Calcinosis, but all the pictures of that look nothing like it at all. It's not impacting my life much other than I don't wear really short sleeves, but I'd love to get an idea of what it could be and maybe what I could do to get rid of them without busting out the tweezers.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
563773 tn?1374246539
Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough,but it sounds like folliculitis or infection of the hair follicles. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).

Pls keep the area clean and apply some warm compresses. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.Also get the diagnosis of keratosis pilaris ruled out although it is less likely from the symptoms that you have mentioned. Treatment includes tretinoin or Triamcinolone cream or Adapalene, a retinoid medication. Exfoliation, intensive moisturizing creams, creams and lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids and urea may be used to temporarily improve the appearance and texture of affected skin.

I hope that helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Hi, it is very important that you see a dermatologist and get a diagnoses of your condition. Then you can come back & discuss treatment options. Unless you are sure that you have KP, please don't go around trying things.

For years, I was treating the rashes on my nose as psoriasis but once I went to the derm and was diagnosed for Rosacea and rx Metrogel; I cleared in a week.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions