Avatar universal

ringworm? allergy? granuloma annulare? lupus?

I have had a rash on my elbows that comes and goes for over 5 years. It appears as ring shaped bumps on my elbows and itches like crazy and often hurts. In December I believed that I has acquired a spider bite on the top of my foot because i had a bubble of fluid. At this point I had decided to go to the dermatologist and get checked out because I was tired of dealing with this rash. She took a biopsy and I came in a week or two later and she told me that it appeared to be granuloma annulare, but she did not think that this was correct because of the serious itching that accompanied this rash. During the time of waiting for a diagnosis I broke out on my face (beside my nose), on my fingers, on my toes, the top of my foot (which i thought was a spider bite), on my heels, and had little bumps around a scar on my chin. My dermatologist said that we should do another biopsy because she thought it may be a wheat allergy or something completely different,. With this, I decided to get a second opinion. The doctor I met with today told me that it was granuloma annulare because she looked at my pathology report and a picture of it. I really want to know what this rash is and i am getting conflicting answers. I have read about granuloma annulare and it does not seem to have the same characteristics as what I have. I itch and have pain and after it heals it flakes and scars. Though it looks like granuloma annulare I don't know if it is. If anyone has any ideas of what it may be please let me know.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
168348 tn?1379357075

I happened upon your post .. I had a pretty large granuloma that they thought was a lupoma but the pathology was definite it was granuloma.  Mine didn't itch . .it was on my throat and they think started from a cyst that burst then grew into a 1.5cm granuloma that I had excised.

Good luck --

Helpful - 0
563773 tn?1374246539
From your symptoms I would like to rule out the possibility of nummular dermatitis. Nummular dermatitis is a type of eczema and allergic reaction is one of the commonest symptom.
You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps. Also Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

Application of steroids is also helpful but it needs prescription from a dermatologist. If the symptoms are not subsiding by antihistaminics, then you need to consult a dermatologist and get steroids prescribed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions