Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Abs workout when wearing an Insulin pump

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 7 months ago and I have just started with an insulin pump, which is great!! I have always been very active in the gym and my problem now is that I don't know if I can work out my abs with the infusion set connected to my stomach. Any tips or advice are welcome

Cheers, Mike
Mike,
My hats off to you for working out so diligently.  I wish I had the discipline.  I have a pump also and I see no reason why you can't continue to work your abs.  The only thing I would do is to test your blood sugar before you workout and if it is anywhere near normal or low, I would just disconnect the pump or lower your basal rate for that hour.  Your doctor can give you better guidelines on how to adjsut your insulin when you exercise.  I have exercised with my pump and I have never had any problem, other than being in lousy shape.  Those pumps are pretty sturdy and stay put pretty well.  I use those IV Preps which seem to help the infusion sets stay put even when I sweat or go swimming. As far as placement, I just stick my pump in my pocket when I workout and that doesn't seem to be a problem.  I would say experiment with what works for you, but definitely don't stop your exercise routine because of the pump.  Thanks for the inspiration.  A friend of mine teaches an abs class and I may just get back on track. Good Luck to you!
ES
I agree with ES.  IN recent months I've been doing much better about getting regular exercise.  I've found that disconnecting works better for me since I thought I was noticing some degradation -- not at the infusion site, but in the insulin itself after getting shaken, rocks & rolled while I'm doing aerobic exercise.  

If my BG is within my pre-exercise target range, I just disconnect and exercise away.  If I'm lower, I eat a bit and if I'm higher I bolus a bit -- but I reduce the bolus knowing I'll be exercising.  I do test quite a bit on exercise days cuz sometimes I run high a few hours later -- probably due to having cut off the basal for a while.  I just correct and get on with life.

Probably, I should work with an exercise specialist to better tune up what I do.  There is no good reason we should "pay for exercise" with a high ...
Mike -

I've found it easier to attach the infusion site to my oblique area rather than the abs.  Actually, as high up, right under my rib cage, as I comfortably can.  Ab workouts are no problem at all with the site there.

jas