Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Diabetes and Ecstasy

I have a simple question that I am having problems finding out the answer to without getting a "just do do it" answer.  What I want to know is are there any adverse effects on taking MDMA (Ecstasy) for type 1 diabetics?

As an adult in my 30's I know all about what MDMA does to normal people.  The fact of the matter is I'm over educated on the topic.  It's something myself and a partner might use once or twice a year once or twice a year given that drinking is completely out of the question.  Are there any specific risks beyond the normal ones associated with the drug for type 1 diabetics?
Dear Hollywood,  
I am not sure you are going to get the answer that you are looking for here either.  We at Medhelp are not medical professionals, and I do not have any personal knowledge of Ecstasy to share with you (and for that I am grateful).  Because of your diabetes, you are more prone to high blood pressure, thyroid problems, blindness, neuropathy and amputation due to poor blood glucose control, so why you would want to ingest a substance that could impair you from making good judgement calls when it comes to taking care of yourself is beyond me. I wonder why, if you have over educated yourself on what Ecstasy does to non-diabetics, you would even consider taking it.  I wish you good luck on making the right choice.
The first line should have read: I have a simple question that I am having problems finding out the answer to without getting a "just don't do it" answer.
ALthough I don't support anyone's use of Ecstacy, I do understand that some folks like to take risks and will do this drug regardless of what common sense tells them.  I'd like to take a different approach with you -- if your goal is to enjoy a more exciting & satisfying sex life, you surely don't need a crutch like Ecstasy.  

There are many safe and creative ways to get a bit "more" out of a normal, healthy sex life.  For centuries -- dating back to the 4th century BC(!), Kama Sutra has provided a wealth of information on the subject.  Before you leap to drugs, consider this rich alternative -- all the fun, all the pleasure, with none of the risk!  It's worked for over 2000 years, being handed down thru the generations.  

You can find many books on the subject -- most illustrated -- at bookstores or online bookstores.  Since you asked, tho', here is some information about Ecstasy too: http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/ecstasy.html

Hi Hollywood,
I don't know if you have other health issues, but there's no reason that having a drink once or twice a year would be any worse than taking Ecstasy a couple times a year!
My husband has been Type 1 for over 15 years and he has a beer with dinner several times a week. In fact, we just returned from a Beer Tasting event in Denver. He checks is bs and adjusts his insulin as needed. He has excellent control and his Ha1c is always below 7. So, it can be done safely.
Of course, I'm not advocating that everyone who is diabetic go ahead and drink! As long as it's in moderation, it can be controlled.
I'd think that would be safer for you than Ecstasy.
Dear Hollywood5150,

I am not a doctor and can't give you medical advice, but I have researched ecstasy in the past. My knowledge comes from my son attending raves or club's in his past and his understanding that this is something very dangerous for him. We were lucky he decided to not try it.

It can cause dehydration, which can bring on heart failure with anyone, not to mention someone with type 1.

I would also like to bring up the issue that when you try a street drug you never know the substance's that are included. The damage can be be lasting or fatal.

As an adult in your 30's, I truly hope you think about this. You also need to protect your kidney's (and this is another concern).

I do wish you the best and would like to hear back from you.

dm

Dear Hollywood,
I too am not a medical professional, however, I am a "surviving mom" who lost her diabetic son at the age of 33 to complications of type 1 diabetes two years ago.  When we were told my son was in end stage organ failure (heart and kidneys) we were also told that my son's drug use had "sped up" his complications from his diabetes three fold.  As a mom who is still hurting very much I would like to remind you that your life is very valuable to everyone, but most especially to your family.  Please make wise choices to protect yourself.  Your life does matter and I care.