Diabetes - Type 1 Community

nephropathy BEFORE diabetes

After months of intrusive tests following multiple infections, my daughter was diagnosed with mild nephropathy a few years ago at the age of about 8 or 9, and then diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes a few months ago (at the age of 13).  After the "mild nephropathy" diagnosis, she went to a specialist every year for a few years to check on the kidney damage, and it didn't change (ie didn't get worse), so they said she didn't need to keep going back.  

Should I push for her kidneys to be checked again soon (ie at the next endo appointment or make an appointment with the GP for a referral to a kidney specialist) or wait until it would "normally" be checked, a couple of years after diabetes diagnosis?

Has anyone else had nephropathy before diabetes?
I am not a physician, but the mom of a type 1 child.   My daughter
I agree with wak that every 6 months is the norm for checks on kidney functions for any diabetic. If your doctor is not doing this, then perhaps you should ask him to do so. I have been diabetic for 34 years (type 1) and have been to many different doctors, being the spouse of a career military husband, and all of my many doctors (we move to a new location and I therefore see a new doctor on the average of every 2 years) have checked kidney function every 6 months. You won't be asking anything unreasonable, and it is just a good habit so you know what is normal for your child and can catch any changes ASAP if they happen.