Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 2 Community
3.42k Members

Complications - roughly when do they start showing up?

I am the first cousin and Power of Attorney for a 62-year old female with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes.  She was diagnosed with diabetes during hospitalization for gallbladder surgery in 1997.  Her height is 4’10” and she weighs 195.  My cousin is not motivated to restrict her diet or exercise to better control her disease.  The A1C this month was 8.1.  She frequently sees various doctors.  Her primary care physician keeps increasing her medications trying to counteract her poor diet and lack of exercise.  My question is, on average how many years after diagnosis do complications begin in cases like this?  Thank you.
1 Responses
141598 tn?1355675363
"...on average how many years after diagnosis do complications begin in cases like this?"
Considering there has been 12-13 years of negligence, diabetes complications began years ago. Some may be more noticeable than others such as fatigue, thirst, and frequent urination. Others might include blurred vision, poor wound healing (cuts, scrapes, etc.) and/or recurrent infections, dry mouth, and dry or itchy skin. Serious complications are retinopathy and neuropathy in hands and feet.
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.