Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.4k Members

shots for dogs

I have a 12 year old german shepherd who is having problems getting up at times.  He is taking glucosamine tablets 2 times a day.   My vet suggested that I try the glucosamine shots for him.  Its a series of 8 shots.

Has anyone tried these shots? Have any helped.  
1 Responses
441382 tn?1452810569
I have not tried the glucosamine shots nor do I know anyone who has, so I have nothing to offer as far as an opinion on them.

Is you vet averse to giving him maybe a shot of dexamethasone to help him temporarily until something can be found that works for him?  Normally dogs don't do well on long-term steroids and cannot tolerate them as well as cats can, but one shot could work really well for him and actually afford him quite a bit of comfortable time.  In fact, if he can be comfortable while the glucosamine shots are taking hold, that one dexamethasone might be all he needs.  Steroids can sometimes be detrimental, but in a case like this, one shot could be like a magic bullet for him.  Ask your vet what he or she thinks about it.

Ghilly
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.