Avatar universal

50 year old male with return of Amblyopia. Looking for surgeon.

I was born with lazy eye or from what I understand it's called Amblyopia.  I had surgery when I was a baby around 2.5 years old.  Everything has been fine until the last year.  Whatever the muscle is called that connects both eyes together so they line up or where the surgery was done has loosened.  Now I can choose which eye to use as my primary as the other will look off to the left. My right eye is my primary so I use that the most but as I said I can easily switch to my left eye.  Does anyone know of an eye surgeon in the Atlanta area that can operate and fix this for me. It's really gotten annoying and I'm afraid if I let it go to long I might lose my vision in my non primary eye.  Thanks.
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
233488 tn?1310693103
First you do not have amblopia, that refers to an eye that does not see normal even with glasses.  You have an eye muscle problem which ophthalmologists call strabismus.  There are different types of strabismus but the most common is when the eyes cross (esotropia)  or turn out (exotropia).  What you had originally I can't tell, but what you describe now is exotropia (sometimes ingraciously called 'wall eyes'.    You need an Ophthalmologist that specializes in strabismus.  Since most cases occur in children they are often called pediatric ophthalmologists but most treat adults also.  I did my residency at Emory but that was so long ago that the doctors on staff and in private practice are no longer there.  A  solution would be to contact the Emory U Dept of Ophthalmology and ask for an appointment with their adult strabismus specialist.
Helpful - 1
Thank you Dr Hagan,

I posted the wrong word when making my post from my phone, so yes I have strabismus/(exotropia).  The time to correct my error past before I came back to check to see if anyone replied. I am very grateful that you read through my error and replied.

I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

One) Is it possible to have the surgery done via local vs being put down during surgery? I take certain meds that most anesthesiologist shy away from.

Two) Does medicaid typically pay for this and if not what is the avg cost of the entire event if I have to pay out of pocket?

Three) Is it true that if I don't attend this issue sooner rather than later I will lose my vision in my left eye? My non primary eye.

Thank you Dr Hagan to replying to my post.
I really appreciate it. Take care and have a great weekend !!!

1. the surgery can be done under local anesthesia without general anesthesi
2. Did you mean medicaid or medicare.  Medicaid pays terrible and many surgeons do not accept medicaid. Medicare within their terms would cover some of the costs. There is now way I could quote you a ballpark price you might be expected topay.
3. It is NOT TRUE that your vision will decrease due to the exotropia.  In a child less than 8-10 it is possible that true amblyopia with reduced central vision might develop but not an adult
Yes I did mean Medicaid.. Guess I will have to pay out of pocket then.. Thanks alot for all the helpful information
I'm glad at least it can be done under a local.  That will help.

Take care
Best of luck
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community

Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511755244
Kansas City, MO
Avatar universal
Grand Prairie, TX
Avatar universal
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.